Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zfc101

Looking for help

9 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking to purchase my first V70R and I'm seeking for some advice and guidance on a particular vehicle.  I've currently got my eye one a 04 V70R with 170,000.  The first thing that gets me nervous is the number of miles.  The timing belt and pump were replaced at 145,000, front struts were done at 150,000.  Vehicle is priced at $4,200.

Other items that were recently replaced:

ABS Control Module

DIM + CEM(?) not sure what this was but it was an expensive repair according to the records.

And it currently still needs installed the suspension module, although the vehicle will come with the part.  

Thank you for your ideas.

6 hours ago, flyfishing3 said:

manual or auto?

make sure the AWD is working.   

what interior?

It is auto with atacama interior.  I'm really thinking of paying for it to be looked at by a shop or dealer before buying would this be worthwhile?  Best way to make sure the AWD is working if there are no visual indicators?

Found out a little more about the car.  It also has had these done recently:

Wheel bearings

Control arms

Stabilizer links

inner and out ends

Left and right front shocks

Find an independent Volvo shop with the necessary diagnostic equipment to see what codes it might be detected, which will point to more repair work.  They should also do an inspection.  Mine has 150,000 miles on it and I have complete confidence in it, but I've also taken good care of it. Looks like a lot of good repairs recently. I have a friend with over 350,000 miles on theirs and it is still running great so they will last a long time.

GLM

On 6/16/2017 at 0:01 AM, glm409 said:

Find an independent Volvo shop with the necessary diagnostic equipment to see what codes it might be detected, which will point to more repair work.  They should also do an inspection.  Mine has 150,000 miles on it and I have complete confidence in it, but I've also taken good care of it. Looks like a lot of good repairs recently. I have a friend with over 350,000 miles on theirs and it is still running great so they will last a long time.

GLM

So I had a mechanic take a look at it - the only codes that came back were the suspension module, which was expected because he hasn't had the SUM installed and calibrated yet but it will come with the part, and the siren code.  Mechanic drove it and said it performed as expected and felt good.  

Appreciate the insight....but the plot thickens.  Another vehicle came up only radar, a 2004 v70r with 135,000 miles.  The caveat with this car is it was a trade in and lacks any maintenance history.  It is being sold by a dealer and passed inspections, has no visible defects, no check engine lights, etc.  It is visually very clean and appears to be well taken care of and is listed cheaper than the previous v70r mentioned.  

So so now I'm faced with a decision of purchasing a v70r with 170,000 miles but with some verifiable maintenance done fairly recently (check above), or a v70r with 135,000 with no maintenance records but being sold by a dealership and slightly less expensive.  

Any thi

At a minimum, you need to find out if the car had the timing belt changed and when. Should have been done by 135,000 miles and if it hasn't there is a high risk of failure and lots of money required to recover.  On the other hand, you can buy it and spend the approximate $500 to have the timing belt done right away.  You should also have someone with Vida/Dice read the codes.

GLM