Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PLANT

Strut top/mount and Sway bar mounts

11 posts in this topic

Hi there,

How do you turn off double space?

So when I first had struts replaced they did both about 10 years ago.

About 2 years ago I had only the right side done which stuffed the steering wheel being  straight.

Today mechanic did the left one and the steering wheel now leans right hand down :(

Says I need the front sway bar mounts done too and big job....how much does that cost...and how long to do?

Top mounts aren't that bad. You'll need spring compressors.

Sway bar bushings are rough and rougher depending on your approach. The sure way to do the sway bar bushings is to lower the subframe. There is a good UK boards post on this. I am a glutton for pain and got them with super tiny ratchet and socket. The problem is you have to clear the hump of the bracket with the socket and there isn't much space. If there is any trick it's rotating the steering wheel to get the tie rods out of the way a little more.

Both are time consuming, but not difficult. I think I had a $600 estimate for the sway bar bushings a few years ago. The parts are cheap. If you get OEM strut mounts they'll be pricey. I think I put in Lemfoeder mounts last time and are cheaper. You'll need an alignment after the mounts are replaced.

Appreciate that but will be done by mechanic. $600US will probably be $1KAU here :(

How DO I get double spacing off?

So gone in today and he is replacing just the sway bar mounts as they are broken!

Is this common?

How much for just the mounts to be replaced?

So using a sway bar bracket kit he replaced both mounts and a rack bolt kit.

Also a black tube(has channels in it) was broken on right side removing sway bar so that was replaced aswell.

Drove home and on turning wheel knock noted on left side! Returning tomorrow morning to to discover what causing noise. Does not occur driving straight!

So using a sway bar bracket kit he replaced both mounts and a rack bolt kit.

Also a black tube(has channels in it) was broken on right side removing sway bar so that was replaced aswell.

Drove home and on turning wheel knock noted on left side! Returning tomorrow morning to to discover what causing noise. Does not occur driving straight!

Cost $460AU

It's still "popping" on left side when moving very slowly ie. when moving in and out of car parking spot????

It's cold here and thought it needed to wear in but I'm concerned there is an issue that will get worse if not investigated.

Any ideas?

Black tube with channels in it sounds like the axle? Try and score a clip of the sound if you can. There is a transmission mount on the left side under the airbox behind the battery. Have the endlinks been done recently?

The younger mechanic took it for a spin and I noted he knocked the left front wheel on gutter(only tyre rub) just when he pulled in he heard it faintly.

I chatted for 10 minutes about the issue and told once get worse and consistent to comeback.

Hoped in the car and was about to reverse and moved the wheel and heard it!

Got the young guy who now listened from outside next to wheel as I turned left and right stationary of the steering wheel and he heard and identified it is in the strut\suspension mount.

Booked for 31st to check mounts again on hoist!