VolMO

My new-to-me 2006 V70R

6 posts in this topic

As a long time owner of a 2004 V70 (2.4), I decided to make life a little more interesting and, after months of searching, finally found a fairly nice V70R in the Midwest.  After speaking with the former owner and the local indie Volvo shop that serviced the car,  I made the 12 hour same-day round trip to check out and purchase the car.  After a visual inspection in 17 degree weather and a good test drive (yes, I gambled by not having someone perform an independent inspection), I am now the proud owner of a 2006 V70R with approx. 90k miles.  It has a nice black exterior with the Nordkamp interior.  It is a blast to drive, but I don't need to tell that to this group. 

It's an 11 year old car, so it has its expected idiosyncratic issues.  I knew going in it needs a timing belt within the year, so no issue there.  I just discovered an oil leak this morning coming from the front/left side of the car, about 6 inches back and over from the driver side fog light.  This wasn't noticeable when I looked under the car during the initial inspection (or I just plain missed it).  Probably a seal of some sort that is leaking and traveling down the frame (let me know if you have any thoughts on this).  Looks like I'll speed up the timing belt replacement and replace some seals while they're in there.   Going into this, I knew these cars can have issues and can be pricey to repair and maintain.  So, overall I'm satisfied and still no regrets.  I never knew driving could be this enjoyable.

I did have to make an unexpected additional purchase.....upon opening the owners manual to review, someone previously replaced the 2006 V70R manual with a 2002 Volvo Cross Country manual.  Ebay saved the day.....should have the correct manual within the week.

IMG_0434s.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

I just took this car to Jiffy Lube to get the mandated safety and emissions inspection performed.  As the guy who performed the inspection was in the garage printing out the "passed" forms, one of the other techs who didn't work on the car came out and said, "Hey, while he's printing forms, one question....How do you like driving the R?", which resulted in another 20 minutes of interesting car talk.  Of the 7 techs in the garage, only that guy and his supervisor knew what the R was.  The rest just thought it was a station wagon.  I absolutely love this sleeper.

I still love my 06R - best advise I can give is to check if the accelerometers are on the front struts - if they are - move them to the body.  Car crashed over harsh bumps and it was the only real downside to the car when I got it - found out about this little trick and it transformed the car.  That change and Michelin AS3's improved the ride 10x.

Rabin

Congrats and welcome.

Oil leak could be a few things:

1) Transmission fluid -from top of radiator where the return line goes into the radiator.
(these cars use the radiator for coolant and trans fluid)

2) Weep hole from intercooler
(over time you'll have an accumulation of oil building up there)

3) something else

Rabin and Tzantushka, thanks for your comments.  I ran by my indie mechanic on my way to work on Friday just to make sure it wasn't anything requiring immediate attention.  With a quick visual inspection, he suspects the intercooler.   Hopefully, it is what is considered a "normal" amount and not an excessive amount indicating a possible turbo issue.  I'm heading back on Wednesday for a timing belt/water pump replacement and some other routine maintenance, so he'll be able to provide more details then.  I'll also get his thoughts on the accelerometers.   Depending on how much this visit ends up costing, next steps include getting the car professionally detailed and interior leather reconditioned.  Once she is all prettied up, I'll post more pictures.