NWBen

S/V40 Sway Bars

21 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 S40. I read a post that said there are thicker front and rear sway bars for the X40s, but the only one I have found is the rear sway bar from Ultra Racing. I am planning on geting the UR sway bar as a late birthday present to myself but I wanted to understand one thing first.

My question is, why is it so common to see only rear sway bar upgrade options. This is the opposite from the strut tower bar in which it is common to see only the front option and not the rear. I understand that you want to maintain the understeer but it seems like, because most of the weight is over the front wheels, only upgrading the rear sway bar wouldn’t do much. Am I missing something?

Also, if anyone knows of a front and rear sway bar combo let me know.

You don't need to upgrade the front because oem is already thick. Beside, that thing is a pita  to remove and install.

you only need to upgrade to rear.

The rear bar will help balance the understeer and keep things more neutrally.  Plus the rear wheels provide the thrust angle for the car, so it keeps things straighter and flatter through a corner.  If the front is overly taught and the rear end is loose, regardless of what axle the drivline is putting torque through, it will make it more of a handful to corner with a loose rear.

Well if there is one thing we can all agree on, it’s that everyone likes a tight rear (especially if you are going to get a hand full) :P

But in all seriousness it already seems to already have a tight rear. I have the UR rear strut bar, and I noticed a huge difference in the cornering after installing it. I was really surprised because multiple times I have heard people say that you will notice a much bigger difference from the front strut bar. Maybe it has something to do with the getting the rear strut bar first or because not many people have the rear bar but I noticed a much bigger difference in the cornering after installing the rear bar.

I guess I kind of feel like the front of the car is the looser than the rear. I feel like the front could be tightened up and still maintain the understeer.

I guess it is a moot point however because the only option available is the rear sway bar from UR. Those Meyle HD end links for the front are more robust but they wouldn’t make a difference in the handling would they?

I recently installed the Meyle HD end links and I didn't notice any difference from the Volvo ones I had previously. I agree with you regarding the front, I'm running the UR strut bar, koni yellows, pilot sports, and my sway bar bushings are brand new and the front still isn't as tight as I would like.

Although I have to mention that I'm pretty sure my front right koni strut is messed up after less than 20k miles. It just doesn't respond as well as the front left one does. Seems to get bogged down and pull the car to the right more than it should, pretty disappointed. I know Koni has a warranty but how the hell do I drive my car without struts for a month or however long it would take them to fix lol. 

This is the very reason I still have my oe fronts in the Koni box :P

did you use the poly bushings for the front sway bar or rubber? is it still secured? I've seen posts where it has come loose after replacing with the PPS replacements

ALSO. The 4 point lower brace will definitely tighten of up. It may just also rub against your flex pipe and destroy itself over the course of time. You could remove the 2 pt stock bar and give it a spin and see how much that piece really influences. FWIW I took it off and felt I had a larger turning radius.

I I think Xcites has one of the older 4pts without the rear link similar to the H brace megan racing sells for the mirage. I've been thinking of checking checking if it would fit.

Yeah I heavily regret leaving my old struts sitting in a plastic bin outside for the last 6 months! I think I'm going to order some bilsteins, they're so cheap right now. 

14 hours ago, TEEKAY said:

I I think Xcites has one of the older 4pts without the rear link similar to the H brace megan racing sells for the mirage. I've been thinking of checking checking if it would fit.

That POS is sitting 2 piece on the side of my house.

certainly I don't feel any looseness in the front. Maybe it is due to KW 😂

1 hour ago, xcites40 said:

That POS is sitting 2 piece on the side of my house.

certainly I don't feel any looseness in the front. Maybe it is due to KW 😂

So jealous, I wish I had gone that route. Especially now that I have appear to have a malfunctioning Koni  :unsure:

I haven't really had luck with any meyle suspension stuff.  I replaced the endlinks twice.  And recently went to lemforder which is oem.  I've heard good things about moog for parts store brand.  I think their endlinks have zircs to grease them too. 

my koni's on the V40 are a bit harsh.  Even after going back to oem wheels and upsizing from 195/60/15 to 205/60/15's.  Can't seem to find these "cheap" bilsteins shredder is talking about.  Cheapest front struts i've seen recently are Sachs brand from FCP for $63 each.  

9 hours ago, 1clean00 said:

I haven't really had luck with any meyle suspension stuff.  I replaced the endlinks twice.  And recently went to lemforder which is oem.  I've heard good things about moog for parts store brand.  I think their endlinks have zircs to grease them too. 

my koni's on the V40 are a bit harsh.  Even after going back to oem wheels and upsizing from 195/60/15 to 205/60/15's.  Can't seem to find these "cheap" bilsteins shredder is talking about.  Cheapest front struts i've seen recently are Sachs brand from FCP for $63 each.  

I got them off of amazon from "motorsport supply" but it looks as though price has since increased. Best price I"m seeing on there is $103 per strut 

I can’t seem to find these Moog rear sway bar end links. It looks like IPD has some although I can’t tell what brand they are. They are just listed as aftermarket. They are good on their good, better, best scale.

Anyone have a link for a recommended pair?

Ok I know this is anal but I have to ask because I over think every decision like this. The Moog ones state that they are greasable. I assume they mean it has a grease nipple or something. That sounds like something I want but I don't see myself actually buying a grease gun and grease for just that. The Proforged end links don't seem to be greasable but they look like they are painted, possibly higher quality and have a crazy long warranty. So which would be the best?

44 minutes ago, NWBen said:

Ok I know this is anal but I have to ask because I over think every decision like this. The Moog ones state that they are greasable. I assume they mean it has a grease nipple or something. That sounds like something I want but I don't see myself actually buying a grease gun and grease for just that. The Proforged end links don't seem to be greasable but they look like they are painted, possibly higher quality and have a crazy long warranty. So which would be the best?

I was in the same boat as you (no grease gun) and honestly just wanted to give the Proforged ones a shot. I'm sure the Moogs are fine/similar quality (I've used parts from them before) but in my opinion the price+warranty of the Proforged ones is hard to beat in this specific case. $31 and you should be good for the rest of the car's life. 

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/91364-Proforged-suspension-parts-Good-bad

Read through the above thread to see some interesting posts from the President of Proforged. 

After looking at some pictures online it looks like there is a grease hole in the back of the Moog end link that could alow contamination into the joint. Especially in Oregon, where it rains more often than not, that probably isn't a good thing. I think I will go with the Proforged. I just wish I could get my Amazon Prime free two day shipping.

4 hours ago, NWBen said:

After looking at some pictures online it looks like there is a grease hole in the back of the Moog end link that could alow contamination into the joint. Especially in Oregon, where it rains more often than not, that probably isn't a good thing. I think I will go with the Proforged. I just wish I could get my Amazon Prime free two day shipping.

Good news is that means they're coming directly from Proforged, they used to ship Prime but I'm guessing amazon ran out.