nico74

tf80sc to tg81sc(awf8f35) upgrade

3 posts in this topic

hello guys,

I'm brand new on this great forum and this is my first post so please do not be too rude.

the new Volvos are now equipped with the aisin 8 speed automatic transmission: I was wondering if it would be possible to update the transmission from the old 6 to the newone.

a couple of years ago I investigated the same mod for my old car equipped with the aw50-55 but it appeared to be not possible to update it to the 6 speeed as the tf80sc uses a higher processor bit speed so the engine ecu would not understand the different signals.

I did not found much infos on the web about the new 8 speed tg81sc, on the Aisin web site they only shows a couple of pictures about fuel consumption, gearbox size and 0-60 mph data: no info about max torque or software used so I have no clue about the electronic compatibility between the two systems.

is there any experienced guy who knows the differences about the two systems and if it would be possible to swap from the old to the newone?

It won't "bolt in" and would require some major modification to the car/trans for it to mount, then you'd have to deal with TCU and programing it to work with the older ECU in the R, then you'd have to deal with the shifter mechanism to work with the new trans since yours doesn't have the 2 extra gears available for shifting. With all the electronics tied together on this car it gotta be nearly impossible to get it work easily.

You have the best automatic trans in the p2R that was available, why would you want to change it? If you feel it's week or needs more (other than 2 extra gears for extra MPG) get it built. I just had my AW55 built. Your trans is faster then the 6sp manual 0-60 times and is the latest greatest that was available for the last R. I think you are trying to make your R something that it's not. If you like the 8sp so much buy a car with it and modding the engine to be closer to an R would be much easier then the oppose.

On 9/11/2015 at 3:28 PM, NEU said:

You have the best automatic trans in the p2R that was available, why would you want to change it? If you feel it's week or needs more (other than 2 extra gears for extra MPG) get it built. I just had my AW55 built. Your trans is faster then the 6sp manual 0-60 times and is the latest greatest that was available for the last R. I think you are trying to make your R something that it's not. If you like the 8sp so much buy a car with it and modding the engine to be closer to an R would be much easier then the oppose.

what is the name of the shop that rebuilt your transmission? what did they do to it? reinforced?different final gear ratio?