Burn-E

The Volvospeed is dead thread

37 posts in this topic

Hi Mike!

:P

Since VS has been down for almost 24 hours now I find myself pondering yet again how far the forum has fallen in the last  year.  Does Chuck just not care any more? I mean the joke used to be that a site with this much downtime could only be Turbobricks as it mirrored the behavior of their cars. With more of the modern platofrm activity moving back to Swedespeed are we destined to languish?

Starting to consider the odds that VS is DEAD. Even if it recovers outages like this accelerate the evaporation of Volvo enthusiasts who frequent the site.

I've started visiting the other sites and looking for enough activity to engage around as an alternative. And I'm one of the diehards.

Starting to consider the odds that VS is DEAD. Even if it recovers outages like this accelerate the evaporation of Volvo enthusiasts who frequent the site.

I've started visiting the other sites and looking for enough activity to engage around as an alternative. And I'm one of the diehards.

:( dont say things like that.. i would be really bummed out if vs were to just die i've been here since what 06 

It'll be back up lol. Don't worry

I asked chuck to just link everybody to here haha

I know it was your plan from the beginning to fake some member complaint to chuck to take over our site

I go away for a week and look what happens.

Aha, so it's all your fault!

how many days has it been now?  not sure but think i have a problem..  come on man, i need my VS fix..   :wacko:

Tables were being updated and something is taking longer than expected.

It'll be back.

Feels like the site is getting more complex and full of cruft with the last two updates.

I'm sure it will be back. We need to think about how to help it recover when it does.

Feels like the site is getting more complex and full of cruft with the last two updates.

I'm sure it will be back. We need to think about how to help it recover when it does.

It might come back, but will never recover. VS as we know it, is a thing of the past. As with everything else, I am angry and bitter™ about that.

Not sure what Timmy (timbo slice) would do since vs is dead and chipotle is serving E-coli

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/10/e_coli_sickens_at_least_22_peo.html#incart_breaking

He is vomiting and squirting diarrhea all over the place while working out in the gym so he can look tough while revving his engine at people.

I'm +1 you for the angry and bitter comment Jon.  I think that's a very plausible possibility.  A couple of dynamics have impacted the site:

1. The stability and code issues create a couple of problems:  

Losing access to all kinds of content with site upgrades has been an ongoing issue that we've survived and overcome.  But VS has lost the prestige of being the site to come to for maintenance support as the well developed content especially for the P80 and P2 platforms has either disappeared, degraded or diminished.

2. Community dissolution has created an ongoing decline which in turn impacts the content and the cohesiveness of VS experience:

A couple influences are impacting this shift:

First, VS has not maintained strong relevance as owners have transitioned from 850/SVC70s to P2 and beyond.  As the cars have gotten older and fewer and the main driver base have aged many drivers have moved off the Volvo platform to other brands.  The R forum on SS for as much as we mock it evolved to become where the majority of P2 owners were hanging out.  And with few owners buying the newer Volvos on VS there simply hasn't been the opportunity to grow a relevant community and so more users have moved elsewhere.  

Second, the social aspect of Volvo ownership has transitioned heavily over to Facebook and other forms of social media.  Yes there is a Volvospeed Facebook page and with it comes all kinds of asshatery but we haven't really integrated very well with it.  I'm not sure it's possible to do so.  The continued fracturing of media for enthusiast engagement is certainly impacting the vitality of Volvospeed. 

Can something be done to change the decline?  There are steps that can be taken to stabilize it but you are probably right Jon, VS is never going to be what it was 3-5 years ago.  The question is what are we looking to save?  Probably the core community of enthusiasts who share their cars and continue to advise new owners of 870s and P2s on how to get the most out of their cars.

I don't understand why Chuck changed everything. It seemed like the old layout had 0 issues with no complaints. I bet he won't even acknowledge the downtime or give any apology to the people who threw money at him for no apparent reason. I didn't give him $100 for this bs