Phixion

Fuel economy

10 posts in this topic

I'm sure (or know) there's topics already on this.  What's your best and what's your worst?

On my S40 when I had her, I got up to 31.5 MPG, and I believe the max on a tank was 350+ miles...

My S60, I figured I'd be throwing that all out the window, 700lbs+ heavier beast, and an extra cylinder.  This doesn't seem to be the case however...  Went on vacation last weekend.  FULL car, myself, my lady and her two kids (6 and 9).  Even after 60 miles of moderate city driving, and a 70 mile stint along Pacific Coast Highway here in So Cal between Carmel and San Simeon, I still managed to get 452 miles on that tank from full to empty!  Blew me away!  Averaged 28mpg...  Oh yeah, that even included the nearly 8 mile 7% grade climb UP the infamous Tejon Pass on I-5.

Without a tune best was 28mpg @80mph on a road trip to NYC and 3 adults with luggage.

Worst is 14.7mpg in stop and go (my daily commute) and with a heavy foot on a 18psi tune with the WGA wicked up a bit higher then it should but boy is it FUN! Normally its 16-17ish...

Best with a tune is 25mpg, but I haven't done a road trip in this car in a while...

Driving to Carlisle I had a reported 38mpg over the 3 hour drive with a full tank. Was a lot of 80+ driving and up / down big hills. Average for daily driving is questionable with the speedometer always stopping, when it would work I'd see ~22-26, but I am heavy on the foot in between lights on my commute... so usually on the lower end.

(nedcar)

Best in my NedCar was 35mpg avg over 800 miles to Orlando and back.  Around town no matter how i treat it it's 27-28mpg. 

The T5 sits 20-24mpg in town.  On the highway though,  it's pretty freaking optimized. 30mpg

sSvfsV1.jpg

Tell me how to optimize, 1clean00!!

My NedCar was in the same boat.  27-28mpg 90% of the time.  That was in my daily LA suburbs 45 mile commute.  In my S60 now, it's about 25ish mph average per tank.  I usually try to squeeze as much as I can over 300 miles.  Anywhere between 320 and 350 miles I consider fair.  The NedCar had WAY more wiggle room when "empty" though as the tank was still holding just over 5 gallons.

For bad bragging kicks, back when I had my Honda, I once got a tank that only lasted 180 miles.  Yeah, around 17mpg average.  Even to her last days, she still could produce 36mpg @ 200k miles on the odo!!  Of course a 2450lbs curb weight didn't hurt.

religious maintenance.  coils, plugs (properly gapped),  fluids and filters, pcv system,  free flowing intake/exhaust and port work on the head and manifolds, good tires, alignment, etc.  

My old laser blue got mpg like an F150.  16-18mpg in town and at very best on long highway hauls i did 25mpg.  

It's pretty well maintained.  Will be doing an oil change this weekend.  Would like to swap/flush the cooling system soon as well.  How's the stuff you've been using working out so far?

Plugs and coils are the same as when I bought her so far.  Plugs, not sure how long is on them, and I could probably bet on the coils being the original factory ones.  PCV system, no idea it's condition, but the engine is clean, and the records I have on the car have it well dealer maintained.

I'm average around 27-28 mpg of mixed highway city driving. Best I ever got was ~ 32 on highway but that is rare unless I drive on long trip with no hills.

Ditto Xcites.  Has to be a long drive on flat roads with the CC engaged to get that normally out of reach MPG number has been my experience anyways...