fourbangin3315

mbc? looking for info

17 posts in this topic

well, i for 1 are against MBC's.  they do nothing for fuel maps, shift points etc.

a poor install can nuke your car quick.

I got the TurboSmart gated MBC...  Worked very well for me.  Many knock-offs of that one on the market, usually retail for around $85 for it...  I found an authentic for $55.  I think 1clean00 got the NX one in TEEKAY's link...  Both should work well between the two.  The TurboSmart clicks for each adjustment which is nice, not too many do that.  TurboXS also makes good ones, as well as Hellman I think it is?  As long as it's not generic, you should be good.

Best combo I've run.  ARD HD TCV with cheap ebay NX MBC inline. 

Step one, replace tcv with new oem piergburg or HD unit like ARD, IPD, SNABB,  ac delco,  etc...I recommend replacing the reference lines with silicone as well, keep length as short as possible.  

Step two, adjust wastegate,  should be seeing 7psi + when WOT in 3rd.  If you're not,  tighten the rod end  1 full turn and repeat test until you see 7psi+ in 3rd.

Step three, install MBC inline with wastegate.  Yellow line that exits the solenoid should go to input on your manual boost controller,  and output on the boost controller to wastegate.

Step four, adjust mbc.  Start out with as loose a setting as you can on the manual controller to establish a baseline.  Same procedure as wastegate adjustment,  test in 3rd gear at WOT and note boost level.  You want the best blend of rapid buildup and level,  rather than spike and taper off.  Adjust the mbc in half turn increments until you reach you're desired boost level,  or for some controllers,  single clicks note a psi adjustment.  

nsWTywl.jpg

An in-cabin is nice!  You can adjust on the fly without getting under the hood.  Realistically however, once you set it to where you want it and is safe for the motor to handle, you really won't have any need to adjust it further unless you upgrade your turbo, or need to turn it all the way down for any reason.  The Turbosmart is a very nice unit, and I'd highly recommend it after I ran my S40 with one.  The non-in cabin one would actually be just fine and save you some $$$ for other things.  If you go in-cabin anyways, I'm anxious to see how/where you mount the adjustor.  Good luck!

I ended up having issues with the heavy duty valve with the manual boost controller so i switched back to the stock tcv but use the same manual boost controller.  Only thing i don't like about the cheap mbc i have is the adjustment is not very precise, its very hard to set a specific level that isn't too high or too low.  Like a fraction of a turn adds several pounds.  The type that click to adjust are nice and an in-cabin helps you make adjustments easily without stopping, popping hood, adjusting, and  then testing. 

I've read several reviews of these things and the best bang for the buck seems like the dawes devices manual controller.  It's the same principal design as the cheap one i have but machined to much tighter tolerance and has a more user friendly adjustment range. 

Chalk up 1 for Ebay!!

I still stand by the TurboSmart one that I ran on my 40.  It was solid, and adusted well.  I think a couple full turns is what I had mine at.  The clicks really helped dial it in well.

Get a hallman never had any boost spike with mods I had runnin 20psi daily my 850 was fun very quick and a stock Ecu never had any problems for 3 yrs but mods were a lot