Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fourbangin3315

2000 s40 upgrades?

34 posts in this topic

Just got a 2000 s40 and I'm looking to upgrade what I can to get it up there. I already have a k&n cold air. But I'm trying to find part #s for changing out the hoses to either silicone or aluminum. Needs help w that.

And trying to fig out what else I should do. Any info would help. Thanks.

Relatively new here too. Search 0 stage. Over the course of a year, ive finally got mine done. Also added a ss pipe from intercooler to throttle body. I found one at Pep boys along with silicon couplers and tclamps. Ive also done the wastegate adjustment, gutted my stock airbox and used a k&n flat panel filter and red ph 2 injectors. But i highly recommend the zero stage first. It def brought mine back to life.

I plan on getting the 14t, upsolute , magnaflo exhaust, upgraded intercooler, lowering springs, boost controller. But I'm starting w hoses, then coils, but I don't know where sells the type, and what sizes of hoses.

Hey I have also been looking for silicone hoses too. do88 has them for reasonable prices but they are in Sweden so shipping cost and wait times might be up there. eeuroparts.com has 2 of the 3 kits that do88 makes but does not have the coolant hose kit. I am still trying to figure out what to do because for 2 of the 3 kits only 2 of the 3 hoses fit the 02-04 models, and mine is an 03.

I don’t think K&N makes a cold air for our S40s. Unless you did some custom work it’s just the kit they carry. I just replaced my K&N with the Mototec kit from Euro Sport Tuning. The Mototec kit was so much better. The difference is noticeable in the way it drives. My respect for K&N went way down after that. I highly recommend you take a look at the Mototec kit.

Snabb has some nice throttle body and intake manifold spacers. They also have crazy fast shipping. You should take a look at them too.

That is almost the total extent of my knowledge.

Did you say you found performance coils? I was only able to find performance wires from IPD

Ksport makes some coilovers that look pretty legit. After my experience lowering my Galant with springs I won’t do anything other than coilovers again.

If u want bang for ur buck eurosporttuning has a light weight crank pulley definitely a big difference and not gonna break the bank and it's a easy installation 4 bolts 10mm and 1 nut and a pin u will need compress to remove the stock pulley and then cut it off to put the new one on trust me you will enjoy it

On 9/4/2015 at 7:34 PM, NWBen said:

Hey I have also been looking for silicone hoses too. do88 has them for reasonable prices but they are in Sweden so shipping cost and wait times might be up there. eeuroparts.com has 2 of the 3 kits that do88 makes but does not have the coolant hose kit. I am still trying to figure out what to do because for 2 of the 3 kits only 2 of the 3 hoses fit the 02-04 models, and mine is an 03.

I don’t think K&N makes a cold air for our S40s. Unless you did some custom work it’s just the kit they carry. I just replaced my K&N with the Mototec kit from Euro Sport Tuning. The Mototec kit was so much better. The difference is noticeable in the way it drives. My respect for K&N went way down after that. I highly recommend you take a look at the Mototec kit.

Snabb has some nice throttle body and intake manifold spacers. They also have crazy fast shipping. You should take a look at them too.

That is almost the total extent of my knowledge.

Did you say you found performance coils? I was only able to find performance wires from IPD

Ksport makes some coilovers that look pretty legit. After my experience lowering my Galant with springs I won’t do anything other than coilovers again.

how much was the cold air kit form motech ? i have 2003 s40 turbo id like to get that and put an exhaust on it to help it breath but dont want something very loud !! ??

On 9/17/2015 at 7:13 PM, fourbangin3315 said:

Yea it's custom. My brother put it in when he had car. One of hoses is behind left turn signal, then another to underneath. It's a k&n cone.

hey you have pics of your brothers car with that intake id like to see it !!???

9 hours ago, duty said:

how much was the cold air kit form motech ? i have 2003 s40 turbo id like to get that and put an exhaust on it to help it breath but dont want something very loud !! ??

Just to be clear the MoToTec intake is not a CAI, but it does have a heatshield. EuroSport Tuning is in Canada, and they are not always the fastest at shipping, but it is totally worth it, IMO. I don’t know if there are any US companies that carry it. You can check it out here http://www.eurosporttuning.com/autoparts/accessories/performance/make/Volvo/model/S40/year/2003/submodel/1.9T/engine/FWD/?engine_part=Intake. They have a dry filter and an oil filter. The flow rate of the oil filter is better, and the blue color is fantastic. It looks amazing paired with blue silicone do88 hoses. It isn’t nearly as loud as an intake on an NA engine because the turbo tones down the sound considerably.

I also got an Aero Exhaust Aeroturbine AT2540i muffler. Now that is loud, but the sound is great. It is low and throaty. I also had the resonator eliminated and had the flex pipe replaced. The stock flex piece narrows down to something stupid like 1.75”. It is the bottleneck of the exhaust system. I chose to keep both the cats because I wanted to keep it street legal, and I figured that they would tone it down to an acceptable level, even with the resonator removed. I love the exhaust sound now. Once it warms up it actually quiets down a bit. EuroSport Tuning has a an exhaust system that looks fantastic in the pictures, but it wouldn’t flow as well, and it is significantly more that I paid for mine, even including installation, removal of the resonator and upgrading the flex piece.

On 3/2/2016 at 11:46 PM, NWBen said:

I chose to keep both the cats because I wanted to keep it street legal, and I figured that they would tone it down to an acceptable level, even with the resonator removed.

Are you saying my car is not street legal because I was able to pass DEQ inspection since I owned it.

On 3/3/2016 at 3:35 PM, xcites40 said:

Are you saying my car is not street legal because I was able to pass DEQ inspection since I owned it.

so you took of both cats and passed state inspection ?

IMO don't waste your money on a eurosport intake or any of the "kits."  The intake won't provide much more performance,  maybe just some sounds.  A free flowing intake helps the turbo spool but it won't ever be a "cold air" as the air immediately gets superheated by the turbo.  I run the do88 intake to the turbo and a K&N apollo on mine.  Make nice whoosh noises and helps it breath a bit but performance wise it isn't much different than when i just had a K&N panel filter. 

16b4f59d4e253e4d6e711321634b6fa4.jpg

On 3/9/2016 at 3:33 PM, 1clean00 said:

IMO don't waste your money on a eurosport intake or any of the "kits."  The intake won't provide much more performance,  maybe just some sounds.  A free flowing intake helps the turbo spool but it won't ever be a "cold air" as the air immediately gets superheated by the turbo.  I run the do88 intake to the turbo and a K&N apollo on mine.  Make nice whoosh noises and helps it breath a bit but performance wise it isn't much different than when i just had a K&N panel filter. 

16b4f59d4e253e4d6e711321634b6fa4.jpg

Totally agree with you in terms of the intake not providing much performance. I have the Eurosport intake and I get worse fuel economy than I would stock. Honestly I've left it on because it helps counter the increased road noise from having 17s and pilot sports. Wish I had saved the intake money and put it towards something else.

On 3/1/2016 at 11:34 AM, TEEKAY said:

Snabb will ship the Jetex catback, Christian ordered one for me.

who the hell is that lol ? how much is it ? i dont want anything super loud its my daughters car 

19 hours ago, Shredder said:

Not my video 

thanx i appreciate it !! are you cats still on this video ?

12 minutes ago, duty said:

thanx i appreciate it !! are you cats still on this video ?

19 hours ago, Shredder said:

Not my video 

what kind of a muffler is that ?

Its not my video, but I have the same exhaust and cats are definitely still on in the above video. Also, the muffler is integrated in with the Jetex/Mototec exhaust.