alschnertz

ECU 2001 S40 1.9T North American

7 posts in this topic

Looking for an ECU for my '01 S40

Part numbers on my existing are;

S110921001H

P30614223

COCA 223

I think this is the last hope for this car.

Also, would a different ECU have to be re-programed by a dealer?

If yes, then forget it. It'll go to the scrapyard instead. I'm done throwing $ at this car.

Have you read the TCM codes other than the P0600 communication fault? The TCM should have some specific codes if the issue exists still with the new trans.

We tried everything but the ECU, 2 TCMs, one from my car which was known to be working, we cleaned and re-torqued all the grounds ad contacts, we couldn't read specific trans codes because we didn't have a DICE unit,

we did find what looked like corosion at one of the seams on the ECU. My best guess it might be an internal ground or relay solder joint has gone bad. I suggested to try to have the ECU reflashed with the stock software and see if that solved it or at that point it may require a new ECU.

In any case I believe the dealer can reprogram a used ECU but you'd have to call and make sure

yup....a dealer would need to program the stock ECU.

Not sure if and how much they would charge that but hoping you can do it for a low fee.

Thanks guys.

I hit up Ben at Re-Volv for a scan too. Fortunately, his shop is pretty close to my house. Wish I knew about him before I bought the trans., but that's ok.

Anyway, his VIDA / DICE didn't come up with anything other than the communication error. No details - nothing.

It would appear that the fault lies either as a problem with the PCM (ECU) or the wiring sending information between the PCM and TCM.

Honestly, I doubt the wiring is chafed. Not saying that it is impossible, it's just that the car has never been wrecked or molested.

Hence the reason I'm thinking PCM now.

I found 2 PCMs on eBay with the same part number. One seller ($90) offers a refund with proof from a dealer that his unit is unprogramable. The other seller ($125) does not offer refunds. Best info I've found so far is that a dealer has to reprogram. It is not a direct swap.

I now have to call a dealer and see how they'd approach it. Since I'm in CT, I'm expecting a quote that exceeds the value of the car, but I'll never know until I call.

Honestly, this is wearing me down and I told my daughter she better start looking around. It's killing me to have to get rid of it, but I have to be realistic.

Thanks again.

Hi! sorry you've had such a rough time of it. As I recall, ECU and TCM are linked/ Reprogramming is mandatory, I think if you use the ECU and TCM from the same vehicle, you don't need to reprogram, as long as the donor vehicle has the same options as yours (odds are in your favor) I would as a matter of course, reset the adaptation on the ECU, TCM and DSA under these circumstances

Wanted to edit, but that option is gone. The resetting of the adaptation is done in VIDA, and likely re-volv can do this for you with a minimum of fuss.