Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carlos

Custom front upper strut mounts- Who's interested?

25 posts in this topic

Next on the list of to-do's. I know Warren will love this but will surely complain about the price! :P

We're about to begin work on new front upper strut mounts with replaceable polyurethane inserts. Two reasons for this.

One is the OEM mounts don't last very long when you're pushing the car extremely hard

Second is I'd like to lower the car at least 1/4" to 1/2" more than it already is with the KW's.

As usual these will be custom and super high quality. Lightness will be on our list of things to accomplish during the development of this product so we're going to do everything possible to ensure we make it lighter than OEM. Currently the plan is to make it compatible with KW coilovers or phase 1 suspension only.

The plan is also to make the inserts fairly affordable as replacements and also choose a durometer that is not too much stiffer than the OEM rubber piece.

Comments, suggestions and questions please bring them on!

I'm in. Since you doing custom, can they be camber adjustable?

I'm not sure who can get phase1 strut mounts anymore as my dealer don't even stock them.

I apologize if this is out there plainly, why do you use ph1 mounts? I thought Xcites had a ph2 which is my initial misunderstanding?

As ol' dirty pointed out the KW's use the phase 1 style bearings on the KW tophats.

Pricing is TBD. Keep an eye on our site for updates and I'll try to post here as soon as any progress is made!

I'm looking not so much into camber adjustment as I am into correction of camber angle since the KW's have the built in eccentric tabs for camber I'd like to correct the angle at the mounts which is something that kills the rubber bushings prematurely it seems.

Adamantium? Vibranium? Lol

Paladium...iron man style, it will also make the car fly, and shoot fireballs.

Tried the K-sport pillowball mounts a long time ago (unfortunately I tried K-sports as well), quality wasn't there and the performance was blah, especially trying to make it work with the KW struts.

As far as material goes that's still up in the air. More info to come in the following weeks. I'm off to California next week so work will be on hold and the S40 will be seeing some more action!

Tried the K-sport pillowball mounts a long time ago (unfortunately I tried K-sports as well), quality wasn't there and the performance was blah, especially trying to make it work with the KW struts.

As far as material goes that's still up in the air. More info to come in the following weeks. I'm off to California next week so work will be on hold and the S40 will be seeing some more action!

Yo, you gonna make a pit stop in Portland man? Holla at me for lunch if you rolling through on business hour. I can meet you up anywhere in downtown or uptown (nw 23rd). You have my #

I'd love to see something similar to the Kaplhenke setup

http://www.kaplhenke...ble-strut-mount

cool thing they offer is a 2.5" id perch for coilover springs

or

stock geometry perch for folks with stock springs or lowering springs only

Edited by 1clean00

Yo, you gonna make a pit stop in Portland man? Holla at me for lunch if you rolling through on business hour. I can meet you up anywhere in downtown or uptown (nw 23rd). You have my #

Warren,

We're going to be flying through Portland early morning so no stops there. Possibly on the way back but we'll see.

Carlos,

any chance on getting a big bore throttle body going again?

Edited by 1clean00

I no longer have access to a lathe otherwise I would do it. You guys may want to try this guy at maxbore.com. He does essentially the same thing I used to do and he's cheap!

My driver side top mount is looking a little mushy... :rolleyes:

You know they have a different part number for manual trans top mounts. I believe they're stiffer...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-suspension-strut-mount-front-s40-v40-manual-transmissions

Edited by 1clean00

I would think the ones for auto box are stiffer because the weight of the box? Am I wrong?

You know they have a different part number for manual trans top mounts. I believe they're stiffer...

https://www.fcpeuro....l-transmissions

I would think the ones for auto box are stiffer because the weight of the box? Am I wrong?

Slevin's got it right, auto mounts are beefier cuz of the weight, M56 weighs about 75lbs full, the aw55 is just over 100lbs empty. I looked into it while doing the swap thinking I might have to change them

And the strut mounts for the manual transmission are totally different. They don't work with U.S. spec cars.

Been away all week. Expect the prototypes for this to be done sometime in the next six months. I personally am in no rush but we are working on it. We also have a lot of other projects we're working in parallel (not Volvo related) so it's taking time. I'm also about to begin moving forward with the roll bar build for the car which eats up alot of my fab guys time!