Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phixion

Stock shocks options, what's best?

10 posts in this topic

I've seen various brand offerings for stock OEM replacement... Of course Bilstein, I've also seen Sachs, Monroe, KYB and Volvo branded which I'm thinking is Bilstein. I know there was also Nivomat. What's that best OEM replacement option? I know that KYB and Bilstein are both great brands.

KYB suck. Monroe/Sachs/Boge are all OEM Volvo.

If you're looking for best performance/comfort and oem fit and finish, Bilstein are the way to go in terms of value.

Nivomat are specific to the rear of the wagon series, nivomat are self-leveling to keep loads evenly distributed across the rear end.

Edited by 1clean00

Monroe seems to be standard replacement for cars in general as that's what most auto parts stores seem to advertise specials on. So I'll stay away from those. KYB bad though? At least from my tuner days I thought they were about mid range, then again I never actually owned any as I had Tein coilovers on mine, but the AGX line were the most used of KYB most likely for their adjustability. I'd love Konis, but for that money you're almost into coilover territory. Sounds like Sachs or Bilstein is the way to go. B)

It took me forever to get the Konis. I'd contact them if you were going that route, they might not make the struts anymore. The shocks I got on tirerack but had to talk to someone.

If I had thought about it and wasn't hasty, I would have saved for KW's and been done with it.

Edited by TEEKAY

Definitely different valved Monroe's that off the shelf at Pep Boys. But it's not a brand that I've generally been fond of.

Wow, I haven't posted here in ages.

I had Koni sports (yellow) with the factor springs and it was very good for handling and comfort. I also had the OEM strut brace.

Stan

Bilstein is a good OEM replacement and they stand by their warranty. If you're not looking to push a performance envelope, they're fine. I had them for a number of years on all four corners. Kept them for emergency replacements - complete struts - when I put the KWs in.

KW is the way to go for a performance option. There is an issue with the strut bearings now tho. You can no longer get the correct (200 S40) strut bearings that accommodate the KW front struts. the 2000 s40  strut bearings were used on these - andf you shouldn't use the 2001 + strut bearings.