33647_1450202331

Noodle Swap

227 posts in this topic

So I'm starting tomorrow morning, just wanted to share some info for anyone wondering, seeing as I don't have a lift I plan on backing the rear wheels onto ramps and the fronts will be on jackstands. Now this presents a problem for installing the pedals and shifter as you don't want to be leaning into/onto the car while it is only supported by ramps and stands, so my friend who is a volvo tech suggested removing the driver seat, installing the new pedals which will still allow me to drive the car with the auto and to then put it on the ramps and stands and work on the shifter. So my plan of attack will be pedals, shifter, then removing the auto box and axles, replacing the rear main seal, installing the flywheel and clutch, the M56, Master cylinder and lines.

So I'm starting tomorrow morning, just wanted to share some info for anyone wondering, seeing as I don't have a lift I plan on backing the rear wheels onto ramps and the fronts will be on jackstands. Now this presents a problem for installing the pedals and shifter as you don't want to be leaning into/onto the car while it is only supported by ramps and stands, so my friend who is a volvo tech suggested removing the driver seat, installing the new pedals which will still allow me to drive the car with the auto and to then put it on the ramps and stands and work on the shifter. So my plan of attack will be pedals, shifter, then removing the auto box and axles, replacing the rear main seal, installing the flywheel and clutch, the M56, Master cylinder and lines.

Good plan! You dont really need to take the seat off, there is plenty of space when u take the panels out. Which flywheel did he sent you, and did u get the pedals from rhd or lhd? Oh and you will need clutch alignment tool, makes things much easier.

Edited by paxan600

"Also for anyone using the 850R clutch with an internal slave, do you need the release fork like with the external slave models?"

No, only the hydraulic pipe needs disconnecting.

Good plan! You dont really need to take the seat off, there is plenty of space when u take the panels out. Which flywheel did he sent you, and did u get the pedals from rhd or lhd? Oh and you will need clutch alignment tool, makes things much easier.

Got the flywheel here from an 850 singlemass for $60 shipped to my door, having it resurfaced, pedals I got LHD from poland along with the clutch line so no fanagleing or modding

"Also for anyone using the 850R clutch with an internal slave, do you need the release fork like with the external slave models?"

No, only the hydraulic pipe needs disconnecting.

Thanks dude!saved me another $60 lol

Ok so Day 1 consisted of getting the interior and pedals out. Had to do alot of moving stuff to get the car in and more prepping of the gay-raj so I didn't get as much done as I'd like to have. Took out my driver seat, radio and center console

(I'm sitting in the back seat)

C07570D6-694E-47B3-9014-D2E24E57366B-3907-000001F2942D5641_zps26c5926b.jpg

Like the video will tell you the pedals are a pain in the c0ck without removing the entire dash and steering column(probably a bigger pain in the c0ck) there's 6 nuts on the firewall and 2 bolts in the top going to the steering column. Before all that though you have to remove the throttle cable and cruise control vacuum from the accelerator pedal, as well as the retaining spring. You have to disconnect the brake pedal from the master cylinder via a small gold bracket on a bolt. Then you have to remove the retaining pin and bolt from the brake pedal. Once you've removed the nuts and bolts its time to wrestle the bastard out.

Once its out

E19A75E7-F890-48D4-A89D-7BEB756BED9E-3926-000001F45B238E43_zpse80b6a0c.jpg

I did some exploring and have found the clutch pedal solution for anyone that drilled holes, it turns out if you pull back the carpet and sound deadening you'll find that there is plate bolted onto the firewall from both the cabin and the engine bay, if you remove this there is a hole for the master cylinder and the bolts on the pedal box.

http://s1018.photobu...a2fc05.mp4.html <<<< Video 1

>>>> Video 2 http://s1018.photobu...c93bd6.mp4.html

I don't have cruise control that thing sucks

So you just ditched it? I'll prob do the same other wise I could just blip the throttle while engaging the clutch to kill the cruise control, what did you do about the master cylinder rick? did you install it with the autobox in or out? and did you install the pedal before or after the master cylinder? I'm debating whether to just bolt the pedal in now or to just get the brake and accelerator in for now so I can out the car on ramps before removing the shifter.

So you just ditched it? I'll prob do the same other wise I could just blip the throttle while engaging the clutch to kill the cruise control, what did you do about the master cylinder rick? did you install it with the autobox in or out? and did you install the pedal before or after the master cylinder? I'm debating whether to just bolt the pedal in now or to just get the brake and accelerator in for now so I can out the car on ramps before removing the shifter.

I think it is just a matter of preference Kyle, I started with the heavy thigs first, I installed the gearbox first, then the master cylinder then the knob and cables, then pedals and slave cylinder and slowly worked my way to small details, any way you decide to proceed is ok, the car is designed to take both systems, no need to drill extra things or so, you will find that everything bolts as factory... and yes I ditched the cruise control, never found a real use on my car for it, maybe for your long highways in US is ok, but in here it is no use...

Edited by R1CKSO

anyone with a manual, do you have a hose from the clutch master cylinder to the brake fluid reservoir or does your clutch master have its own reservoir? I wanted to keep them separate so i may try to find a reservoir for the clutch master if it's compatible with an 850/x70

So here's what I'm looking at for the clutch pedal/master cylinder, the holes I found don't line up with the bolts on the pedal box, am I in the wrong place?

A78E878D-1C02-4CA8-93C1-FAE553CAA8D3-4201-00000213D1DD61AE_zps11f56db9.jpg

Edited by Ol' Dirty Noodle

anyone with a manual, do you have a hose from the clutch master cylinder to the brake fluid reservoir or does your clutch master have its own reservoir? I wanted to keep them separate so i may try to find a reservoir for the clutch master if it's compatible with an 850/x70

you have to cut the nipple on the brake reservoir, it has a small nipple that's capped

Yea I know that, I was asking if anyone had gone the separate reservoir route so that the brakes and clutch do kit share the same fluid, in VIDA there's a diagram of a master cylinder with its own reservoir

so had a hang up today, pedals are wrong, spent the day poking with the steering thinking that was the issue, turns out the pedals are for a diff s40 with a different steering/throttle and brake setup. working on getting new ones now, will work on the shifter and getting the autobox out tomorrow