Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pama

DCTS off....on 2007 V70R

27 posts in this topic

post-1789-1158022563_thumb.jpgI am a new owner of a V70R with less than 1k on the dash...as of now.

Anyways, I want to be able to turn off all the traction control. My dealer demoed this to me on a S60R by pressing the DCTS button in series a few times. The problem is that I only saw it once and am awaiting a reponse e-mail on how to do this.

Can anyone help? B)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the board!

Push the button 5 times total, in a push and hold slightly to turn off, then tap briefly to turn back on manner:

Push - DSTC Function reduced

Tap - DSTC On

Tap - DSTC On

Push - DSTC Off

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the board!

Push the button 5 times total, in a push and hold slightly to turn off, then tap briefly to turn back on manner:

Tap - DSTC On

Tap - DSTC On

Push - DSTC Off

Thanks,

I wonder how well the P-Zeros will do tomorrow??

Thanks,

I wonder how well the P-Zeros will do tomorrow??

i thought they actually did a good job in the rain.

didn't like them in the dry and look out if you see the white stuff.

mike

Anyways, I want to be able to turn off all the traction control.

Just be aware, even with the DSTC Off it is not completely disabled and traction control is still present.

Doug H

Tap - DSTC On

Tap - DSTC On

Push - DSTC Off

My '05 gives a slightly different message at the end . . . instead of "DSTC off" it says "anti-skid off" . . . implying that (as Doug stated) the traction control portion of the system is indeed still active.

- Mark

My '05 gives a slightly different message at the end . . . instead of "DSTC off" it says "anti-skid off" . . . implying that (as Doug stated) the traction control portion of the system is indeed still active.

- Mark

My 06 gives the same message.

The hand brake is strictly mechanical and therefore is not controlled or influenced by the DSTC. If you lock up the rear wheels with the handbrake there is not much the electronics can do about it.

Doug H

True. You are looking for 32mph in the wet, 37 in the dry. Not that I would know... -mk

This may be a dumb question but why would someone want to disable the DTSC?

If you were driving the car hard, e.g. on a track, you might reduce the risk of overheating the brake calipers & disks if the stability control system wasn't fighting you all the time . . . would allow the car to slide a bit.

- Mark

If you were driving the car hard, e.g. on a track, you might reduce the risk of overheating the brake calipers & disks if the stability control system wasn't fighting you all the time . . . would allow the car to slide a bit.

- Mark

As Mark stated, the DSTC design cannot cover all possible condition such as being on road course and pushing the cars handling capabilities lap after lap. In this case the DSTC can be reacting to slow down the car or transferring power in the Haldex unit when it is not needed or desired. Not only can this result in overheated brakes but an overheated Haldex unit which will disable the AWD system. That is the last thing you want to happen when entering a turn at high speed and suddenly have a FWD car! :blink:

Doug H

Lots of fun in icy parking lots. :blink:
I am pretty sure I will never be in an icy parking lot again. Average Low in Charleston in February...37*F. I didn't move here to be cold. -mk

- Mark

You are correct, my '06 gives that message also. I was going from memory, which I have previously concluded is not a good thing, but I forgot that as well.

So for driving on a public road there wouldn't be any real benefit to ever disengage the DSTC? Unless you want to pretend you are on a race track.

Thanks for the information.

Robt

So for driving on a public road there wouldn't be any real benefit to ever disengage the DSTC? Unless you want to pretend you are on a race track.

Robt

Correct, for your average driver it is best to keep it active. I just read in today's paper that DSTC will become mandatory on all cars beginning in 2010.

Doug H

Correct, for your average driver it is best to keep it active. I just read in today's paper that DSTC will become mandatory on all cars beginning in 2010.

Doug H

Open the pod bay door, HAL. If I wanted a nanny, I would have hired one. I don't know which I fear more, the gov't or machines. I am either stuck in the '50's or 60's. -mk

Robt

I am one of those people who seems to have an issue with 4C....to me, it reacts very poorly to sharp bumps, potholes and ridges. The car gets way too stiff and crashes over them, even in comfort.

At the suggestion of others, I disabled DSTC and found that it significantly improved the car's reaction to those sharp bumps....it doesn't stiffen up the suspension quite so much. I now drive with it off all the time if it's sunny out.

I quite like DSTC and the 4C system. I havent had any problems with the 4C performance yet. We'll see how it tackles Summit Rd. in the Santa Cruz mountains when ever it finally clears coustoms. I do like the way DSTC performs, it helps keep the car in check in fast manuvers that you may need to do in ordinary driving. I think the best part about DSTC is the fact that you can reduce it's function and almost turn it off. :P

For those drivers that want a car to act and drive like a "real car" like us that have driven real race cars and raced motorcycles, I drive with the premise that the throttle can be used for corrective action driving, with all the stability and traction control it takes the control completely away from the driver. (IMHO) DSTC should be a factory delete option all together. I think that traction control on race cars is a crock of crap as well. I just cannot for the life of me enjoy driving a car that won't let me control it. If i wanted to drive or ride something that could think for itself (kind of) I would have horses.

I would love to find a way to shut it off completely, except ABS in the winter.

Open the pod bay door, HAL. If I wanted a nanny, I would have hired one. I don't know which I fear more, the gov't or machines. I am either stuck in the '50's or 60's. -mk

I agree completely. Low tech is just fine with me, as I have confidence in my ability to control my vehicle under a wide variety of non-typical situations. All those things that got me into trouble as a teenager were also building my driving skills.

For those drivers that want a car to act and drive like a "real car" like us that have driven real race cars and raced motorcycles, I drive with the premise that the throttle can be used for corrective action driving, with all the stability and traction control it takes the control completely away from the driver. (IMHO) DSTC should be a factory delete option all together. I think that traction control on race cars is a crock of crap as well. I just cannot for the life of me enjoy driving a car that won't let me control it. If i wanted to drive or ride something that could think for itself (kind of) I would have horses.

I would love to find a way to shut it off completely, except ABS in the winter.

Again, I agree. I'll add that traction control is completely useless here in Phoenix where it seldom rains and never ices up. If I can maintain full control of a "primitive" high output early '70s muscle car under various WOT conditions then I can certainly handle a modern AWD with about half the torque output.

I am one of those people who seems to have an issue with 4C....to me, it reacts very poorly to sharp bumps, potholes and ridges. The car gets way too stiff and crashes over them, even in comfort.

At the suggestion of others, I disabled DSTC and found that it significantly improved the car's reaction to those sharp bumps....it doesn't stiffen up the suspension quite so much. I now drive with it off all the time if it's sunny out.

I've experimented with the same thing, but not in order to dampen the sharpness of the suspension per se, but rather in order to reduce the dreaded sidehop skittishness of the 4C over sewer covers, highway ridges, etc. It does seem to reduce the side hop to some extent, but doesn't eliminate it altogether. That said, I feel a little goofy disabling one of the most important safety features on any car (witness the recent IIHS report on how stability control could save 10k lives/yr if all cars had it), just to get rid of the sidehop. So, I live with it.

witness the recent IIHS report on how stability control could save 10k lives/yr if all cars had it), just to get rid of the sidehop. So, I live with it.
Don't believe the hype... I find it somewhat incredulous that 20% of all deaths on the road are secondary to a roll over. Just because someone died in a rollover doesn't mean the roll over killed them. I would like to know how many people died in a rollover that wouldn't have died if the vehicle crashed, but hadn't rolled over. That is the real statistic to through around and I would predict that it would be much lower, by a magnitude. Time was, before SUV's, that a roll over had to be a horrific accident. Now with the penetrance of tall vehicles into the total vehicular pool, you can have a roll over and not be very bad. I have responded to many rollovers with the driver standing on the side of the road, on her cell phone, scratch-less, telling daddy she needs a new car. DTSC is a great tool to have in your box. I would rather be a skilled drive with experience and judgment. I would get far more enjoyment from the car if I could defeat the nanny on command. That said; I feel much better when my wife drives the R car, rather than the minivan. She has neither my experience, nor judgment, and the nanny is her friend. -mk