dneu

Topic of a drivetrain vibration was never satisfactorily answered - he

5 posts in this topic

My 2004  vibrates severely at speeds between 50-60 MPH. but only under the load. Sometimes, under acceleration it is pretty severe. As soon as I take the foot from the gas pedal vibration ceases. I have all new tires and wheels balanced. I have checked the intermediate bearing and joints. No excessive play in neither of them. What else could be the culprit?

You have a driveline vibration, either from the front axles or the front to rear drive shaft. When you mentioned it only happens on acceleration and ceases when you remove your foot that is the dead give away. I would double check the front CV joints for excessive play and check the carrier bearing in the center of the vehicle. 

first thing that popped into my head is the carrier bearing.

Do you hear anything?

After a few months this problem is not solved. The central carrier bearing and its mounting seem very solid. They do not move much when I pry on the shaft against the floor. I have seen worse without my car's symptoms. I have checked CV joints when I replaced outer dust boots on them. No noticeable play. But there is a differnce in vibration when I drive to left turn - it is very strong, in the right turn almost not noticeable. Could the culprit  be - in spite off shaft;s solid feel - the left drive shaft?