Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeff_In_CT

Well doesn't that suck...

9 posts in this topic

I just got this car. The paint was pristine. The previous owner kept it in a warehouse AND under a cover. So to keep it pristine I parked it in MY garage. And then the ceiling collapsed onto it. 

Now I've got dents in the hood; one pointing down (liker you'd expect) and the other, oddly enough, pointing up.

To make matters worse, the ceiling paint has a texture like sandpaper. After that 10' behemoth slammed onto the roof & hood it broke up and slid off and took out the paint on the fender & doors. 

Fortunately, I had the load bars mounted on it at the time. That may have saved the roof from dents but not scratches. 

I have no idea why the ceiling collapsed. It was bone dry with no signs of moisture or water damage. The nails didn't pull out, they are still in the joists. The rock just pulled free of them. The house was built in 1975, I've owned it for a year. I had a radon mitigation system put in a year ago. The fan is directly over the sheet that fell. Maybe one of the installers took a bad step and never mentioned it. 

Now then, which claim to file? Auto or homeowners? lol

post-45989-0-10779100-1420777882_thumb.p

post-45989-0-92407400-1420777882_thumb.p

post-45989-0-71840900-1420777883_thumb.p

post-45989-0-47228400-1420777884_thumb.p

Bummer. You can look on the bright side, it's an easy fix. Minimal work to get it back into shape. :unsure:

I'd think you'd do Homeowner claim so that you can get the ceiling repaired too. And since it happened while it was parked in the garage.

i fell through my ceiling once.  i thought i had broke my leg clean off.

Did you?

Or just merely land on a big botttle of ketchup?