Photo
- - - - -

Rear Differential Failing

rear differential fail failin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 smaka

smaka

Seriously R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

So I have been leaking fluid out of my 05 V70R GT rear differential for the last week or two. Had the thing resealed last year under VIP warranty, now thank goodness have another extended warranty that took over at 90k miles.

Volvo dealer says fluid coming out of overflow hole as diff appears to be overheating and ejecting fluid. Therefore argument from them is that it has failed and needs to be replaced. Cost estimate is $4000 for the part and around $700 in labor (free to me less $100 deductible).

Question: has anyone here seen this problem before?

Thanks!

#2 flyfishing3

flyfishing3

Hardcore R

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

man, i can't say thats common.

if all you have into it is 100 bucks, get it all swapped.

if its overheating like that, i wonder if the haldex is going banana's.

the rear only gets 10% power unless slippage is detected

#3 smaka

smaka

Seriously R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yes, good point. I thought it was only 5% and I am really not getting on the car much these months as it is primarily a grocery getter and carpool runner. So I can't say that I have even had it go to rear wheel bias in a long time, except for some snow traction a couple of weeks ago. The extended warranty guys will only pay to swap it with a used one, but will continue to cover the part for the life of the warranty.

Let me ask my Volvo guys and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice!

#4 smaka

smaka

Seriously R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

So evidently after teardown, diff not looking good. Bearings showing signs of overheating, and fluid was ejected out of weep hole. So in their kind generosity, extended warranty folks paying for a used 55k miles diff instead of new one. Oh well, so long as it works.

We'll see on Friday...