Photo
- - - - -

Took 2nd in my first autocross with the R

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Red Sled

Red Sled

Fairly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:54 AM

Philadelphia SCCA event today. A wide open course across three large parking lots at Citizens Bank Park (home of the Phillies). Took 2nd at Autocross out of 9 cars in my G-stock class. People said "what car will you be driving?" and then I'd say "that old Volvo wagon" and they dismissed it. Nobody knew about this car. Then I spanked 'em all B) . Best was beating many of the new F-stock V8 Mustangs and a Camaro. Now they know what a Volvo "R" model means... To be nice, I've run many more autocrosses than some of these guys but I'm sure the 412hp Mustang GT guys, adn the guy with the Saleen Mustang were not too happy to get beat by a WAGON (even though they were in a different class), and the guy in the 300hp V6 2011 Camaro said to me after the event, "I saw you were in my class, and I thought no big deal, then you beat me by a lot - what the subdue do you have in that thing?" That was worth the price of entry right there... I said to him, just think if it didn't have 140K miles on it... Another guy said "that thing sticks, are you running R-compound (really sticky almost slicks) tires? I said no, I'm running all season radials. He was bummed.:lol: -- They are on to me now, and I'm sure they will be gunning for me at the next event. The Mini Cooper S, with R-compound tires are hard to beat.

The auto correct changed the wording above - the guy in the Camaro said "what the f*** do you have in that thing?":huh:

#2 abarth

abarth

Seriously R

• Benefactors
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:27 AM

Only 2nd? Did you have the air on?

Nice job.

#3 Red Sled

Red Sled

Fairly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Only 2nd? Did you have the air on?

Nice job.

LOL - First run I left the DSTC button on and that cuts too much power trying to "help" me. You do have to do through pre-flight checklist while in line... Advanced button on, DSTC off, A/C off, head screwed on straight, etc. -- I think the guy who beat me was a regular participant with a lot more participation in their events that I do...

I hope someone at the events posts some pictures, I'd like to see the cars attitude while taking on the course.

#4 pnichols63

pnichols63

Addicted to R

• Benefactors
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

LOL - First run I left the DSTC button on and that cuts too much power trying to "help" me. You do have to do through pre-flight checklist while in line... Advanced button on, DSTC off, A/C off, head screwed on straight, etc. -- I think the guy who beat me was a regular participant with a lot more participation in their events that I do...

I hope someone at the events posts some pictures, I'd like to see the cars attitude while taking on the course.

You should have had a cargo carrier on top and blasting the Brady Bunch theme song while you were running it. :lol:

#5 flyfishing3

flyfishing3

Hardcore R

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

nice job.

Posted Image

#6 Red Sled

Red Sled

Fairly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:40 AM

BTW, I joked no one knew about the Volvo R models. Many of them don't even know my "Datsun" marque. I'm sure even fewer know "Abarth" B)

#7 Fprodget

Fprodget

Newbie R

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

Lou

What tires did you use and what size wheels?

I am going to come out to the Philly Region to try my car this year. Maybe we can coordinate showing up together.

#8 Red Sled

Red Sled

Fairly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

The stock 17" R wheels with my all-season Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I think I'll be running the 6/19 event. I live up in the Lehigh Valley area so it takes me about an hour+ to get there. I have to fight putting better stuff on this car because a) it's my daily driver and B) all the fun stuff is going on my 71 Datsun 240Z I'm building...

#9 Fprodget

Fprodget

Newbie R

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

The cooler temps in the early spring, do keep the R-compnd tires frrom working to their fullest. The Philly region does have an indexed class cars with street radials. I was thinking of trying that class first.....as I have some crappy Pirelli P-6 tires for now.

It also takes over an hour to get to Philly events from Lancaster........I will check the family calendar for the June event. I may give the May 15 event try, since the Porsche club is going and I ran with them last year in my 911.

#10 Red Sled

Red Sled

Fairly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

My email is Lou240 at hotmail dot com - keep in touch about the June event.