Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whtmike2k

In The R Market, What's The Verdict?

6 posts in this topic

So I'm in the market for an S60R, and i've found one locally i like. 2004, 6 speed, 71k miles, looks pretty clean in the photos -

here's the kicker, it's only $12,500.

which to me seems like a pretty good deal.

so what's the verdict on these cars as far as cost to own and overall reliability? i know there's always an inherent risk in buying a private party used car. is this car going to put me in the shop monthly? make me go broke?

what are some things i should look for if i go check the car out, any standard tell-tale signs of neglect? what are typical services that should have been done to the car by 70k miles? what are things i'll have to do between 70k and 100k if i were to buy it?

i should add that i've been driving a subaru legacy for the past 4 years that hasn't failed me once or needed the first bit of work done by a mechanic, so i'm a little spoiled at this point :D

thanks in advance!

That's all an 04 with 70K miles is worth.

Someone came over with an 04 they wanted me to look at today.

77K miles, This thing was such a POS I wound up selling hime my 05 instead.

No bait and switch, this really was a pice of crap.

So your answer is beware, 04 s with these miles, (any R with these miles,) can be a dicey proposition without a SPOTLESS service record history (and some good luck)!

Do yourself a favor and stick with subaru (I'm sure most on this site will disagree)

2005 (wife wanted 2nd car) purchased w/42k over the internet Nov 08 from a Volvo dealer in MN (I was trying to convince her to get a WRX), was supposedly CPO but somehow it arrived and the horn didn't work, as well as the front passenger window. Original Pirelli's should've been replaced, they maybe had 30-40% thread left all around. Since then it needed the following (I'm sure I'm forgetting something):

tires all around

brake pads all around

2 wheel bearings (common knowledge these wear extremely premature on the R cars)

Front tie rod (also will need a ball joint replaced soon, started hearing the ceraking noise last week)

angle gear seal (~$800 repair at dealer, fairly common and if not performed could lead to over $2k in repairs being needed)

Also needs either the xc90 axle bolts (fixes axle ping issue) and/or engine/tranny mount(s)

Wheels rub horribly when fully locked - how does a car leave the factory like this?

We have a 6 month old and even before he was born both of us drove it like grandma for fear of breaking something else. We're finally selling (upgrading) to a MB R class or Lexus GX

The only positive thing I can really say about the car is the interior gets a lot of compliments (atacama) and you don't see a lot of R's

Good luck

So I'm in the market for an S60R, and i've found one locally i like. 2004, 6 speed, 71k miles, looks pretty clean in the photos -

here's the kicker, it's only $12,500.

which to me seems like a pretty good deal.

so what's the verdict on these cars as far as cost to own and overall reliability? i know there's always an inherent risk in buying a private party used car. is this car going to put me in the shop monthly? make me go broke?

what are some things i should look for if i go check the car out, any standard tell-tale signs of neglect? what are typical services that should have been done to the car by 70k miles? what are things i'll have to do between 70k and 100k if i were to buy it?

i should add that i've been driving a subaru legacy for the past 4 years that hasn't failed me once or needed the first bit of work done by a mechanic, so i'm a little spoiled at this point biggrin.gif

thanks in advance!

I dont know what these poeple are talking about. I bought my 04 with 14k on it an I now have 83k on it. NOT ONE PROBLEM! Other than oil changes an front brakes ive done nothing. I still havent done a tune up. The car has been a flawless runner with the stock spark plugs in it which are to be done at 60k. An the car will take an STI! I got in quite the race up to 130mph an took him. This has been a great car. general upkeep is rather costly though. 70 dollar oil changes! Do not run regular oil.... Synthetic only!

I dont know what these poeple are talking about. I bought my 04 with 14k on it an I now have 83k on it. NOT ONE PROBLEM! Other than oil changes an front brakes ive done nothing. I still havent done a tune up. The car has been a flawless runner with the stock spark plugs in it which are to be done at 60k. An the car will take an STI! I got in quite the race up to 130mph an took him. This has been a great car. general upkeep is rather costly though. 70 dollar oil changes! Do not run regular oil.... Synthetic only!

I bought my 04 with under 40k on it (38k I think), two years and 30k miles later other than some very minor issues (tcv, and some computer update to stop my trip odometer from resetting) and new tires I haven't regretted the purchase at all. Long live the '04's!! I have a warranty, so I don't have too much to worry about, but the general consensus is you should have a warranty on any R anyway.

I don't know about $70 oil changes though, my Volvo dealer is at $19.95, synthetic blend I believe. I do whatever maintenance they tell me though, and it can get pricey $400ish a couple times, they must see me coming because I probably don't actually need all that. But they can't come back and say the warranty is void because I missed a service.

Anyway the point is I agree with muffly1, nothing wrong with my '04.