Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hunter

400HP S60R - Superchip and 97 octane...

62 posts in this topic

ever look at RiCA?

On the list to research - I have heard they're a bit brutal but, still being new to Volvos, I haven't experienced a Rica-tuned car yet. Have you any knowledge and/or experience of one? Thanks :)

ever look at RiCA?

On the list to research - I have heard they're a bit brutal but, still being new to Volvos, I haven't experienced a Rica-tuned car yet. Have you any knowledge and/or experience of one? Thanks :)

ever look at RiCA?

not yet. thats who's tune i will be using on my 98R.

the only real knock i've heard about rica's tune on all vehicles is, its definitely on the aggressive side. Say on my car, i will need to make sure all the gaskets/seals are good, the turbo is in great shape, possibly a MBC, and install a wideband,. new silicone hoses, etc. now i've done all this and i'm just waiting to get the scratch for the tune together.

around here there is only one source for RICA so the price is somewhat high IMO.

one of the highest tuned V70r was by johann who is around still. he had all the mods and crossed the 400hp line. he had a custom RICA tune.

your car being new i wouldn't be so worried about what i'll call maintenance stuff. the only thing you have to know is flashing a ECU here is almost a gurantee of loss of warranty. THe dealer has to prove the ecu has been flashed but players beware.

Tme tends to be fairly safe if you don't have major HP goals.-or have marco custom tune you.

BSR you cannot use a DP, or at least its a gamble.

Edited by flyfishing3

the only real knock i've heard about rica's tune on all vehicles is, its definitely on the aggressive side. Say on my car, i will need to make sure all the gaskets/seals are good, the turbo is in great shape, possibly a MBC, and install a wideband,. new silicone hoses, etc. now i've done all this and i'm just waiting to get the scratch for the tune together.

around here there is only one source for RICA so the price is somewhat high IMO.

one of the highest tuned V70r was by johann who is around still. he had all the mods and crossed the 400hp line. he had a custom RICA tune.

your car being new i wouldn't be so worried about what i'll call maintenance stuff. the only thing you have to know is flashing a ECU here is almost a gurantee of loss of warranty. THe dealer has to prove the ecu has been flashed but players beware.

Tme tends to be fairly safe if you don't have major HP goals.-or have marco custom tune you.

Edited by flyfishing3

Edited by flyfishing3

Car's not new, just new to me :) It's an '04 so no worries about warranty. Only 21k miles though so happy to look at what's more sensible (than the previous owner did) to do to it. On the maintenance side, previous owner had neglected it a bit, so it's been in for a full service with every accessible fluid changed, all belts replaced, new iridium plugs, etc.etc., so I know everything's right going forward. Thanks for the info :)

Edited by Hunter

Car's not new, just new to me :) It's an '04 so no worries about warranty. Only 21k miles though so happy to look at what's more sensible (than the previous owner did) to do to it. On the maintenance side, previous owner had neglected it a bit, so it's been in for a full service with every accessible fluid changed, all belts replaced, new iridium plugs, etc.etc., so I know everything's right going forward. Thanks for the info :)

Edited by Hunter

Edited by Hunter

OK, spent some time on the car today with an OBD computer and discovered the reason(s) for the running problems. There were three error codes logged, one of which was overboosting, so we've over-ridden the standard boost controller and put in a manual bleed valve in the meatime, cleared the codes and it's now running sweetly :) So, until I can get more time to spend on it, it's set to run 1.2bar to avoid the overboost, but at least it's running clean :D

Please could you help me get my R to run well, as you know what you are talking about!!! I live in Lancashire

That's the problem. Rs here in the States don't come anywhere close to 300 hp with the crap 91/93 sold here.

Just reading through this thread as I'm in the market for a V70R.  Actually, have been for some time!

Thought it was worth mentioning, as this is a common misconception.  I've lived in UK/USA/Canada.

The UK uses RON (Research Octane Number) for its advertised Octane levels.  North America uses PON (Pump Octane Number) which is actually a combination of RON and MON (Motor Octane Number.)  RON & MON use different measurement methods so yield different numbers.  Roughly speaking, MON is usually 10 points lower on most Pump fuel than RON.  PON (USA/Canada displayed Octane) is an average of the two.

So a broadly accurate rule of thumb to compare the two is to add or subtract 5 points to compare numbers.  93 Octane in the USA is roughly equal to 98 RON in Europe.

Trust me, I had to explain this to a number of Brits who liked to rag on 'crummy Yank fuel....'