Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

2004 V70R - Bosch Wiper Blades - Primarily for Winter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Richard-R

Richard-R

Advanced Member

• Benefactors
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hello, I am trying to find Bosch ICON (or Evolution) Wiper blades for my 2004 V70R. Can anyone provide the model number (s) that fits (Drivers Side and Passenger Side)? I have read that some of you have replaced the wiper arms with 05 arms...but would rather not do this if not required.

Bosch's US site suggests they don't make any for my car, but I have read that many are using them. I am mostly concerned with Winter wiper blade performance, as my cheapo (Cdn.Tire sourced) summers work well when replaced annually... Other thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
Thank you,
Richard.

ps. first real snow fall arrived last night. 6" in Northern Toronto. True powder... would rather be boarding! At least it was only snow, not ice on the windows.

#2 Spencer

Spencer

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

I have the icon's on my 04. I just bought them at an auto supply store in the same sizes as the stock Volvo blades. They work well. You don't need to replace your wiper arms.

#3 Richard-R

Richard-R

Advanced Member

• Benefactors
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

Thank you Spencer, I ended up buying from PartSource (affiliated and owned by Canadian Tire) some Bosch Evolutions about 3 weeks ago. They fit securely. Good start. The next day I used them for the first time... and hated them... Squueky and dragging/shuddering on every swipe... But since then (day 2 onwards) they have been great! Nice clean and quiet swipe up and down, good clearing except at the far right most side where about 1" is missed as they can't quite wrap around with windscreen. This is not a problem after the lower 5 inches of the screen where full contact is again maintained.

Glad I went with these, better fit than the Reflex Hybrids and certainly a better view. I have also deciced to try Rain-X Windsheild Wiper Fluid this winter to see if it makes a difference. So far I am happy..perhaps that's why the blades stopped squeaking on Day 2? MY '00 is still alright with plain fluid and generic Wipers from Cdn.Tire.. Flatter screen perhaps.

Cheers,
Be warm and see well this winter
Richard

#4 wmontgomery

wmontgomery

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

I really like the Rain-X fluid, with this caveat: Be prepared in winter to use a bit more fluid than normal, as the fluid tends to streak when coupled with salt on the windshield.

The stuff is flawless in the other 3 seasons. I can see great in driving rain with wipers on intermittent.

bill

#5 Blueleezard

Blueleezard

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

I also use Rain-X rated for -45C, pus Motomaster (Canadian Tire) fluid similarly rated. I have mixed these together (without really planning to do so -- didn't really pay close attention) and the end results are very good regardless. They are both more than satisfactory. But, as Bill says, be prepared to use more, volume-wise, than what you might have been used to using -- I also think it has to do with whatever happens chemically when mixing with salt spray -- starts off with a lot of streaking, but after a couple of swipes ends up doing the job really well. We'll need to keep the reservoir topped up nowadays -- temp this AM is -21C with wind gusting to 60KPH, still a lot of blowing snow (mainly stirred up by the wind). Wind chill is down about -35C when the gusts hit. I shovelled out the big wind-blown drift in our driveway this AM and the wind was like a serrated knife even with heavy gloves. And lots of drifts and crap on the road to town. So, head down and get a few extra jugs for your favourite garage shelf!! Best to have a good "buffer supply" and one extra jug on board ... Winter will be with us for a while ... Cheers / Blueleezard

#6 Blueleezard

Blueleezard

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

Have switched over to NASCAR fluid, rated to -49C. The negative user reports that you can find through the link provided below sure don't fit with my experience. This stuff seems to work like a hot damn, with much less streaking and crap results from what I can tell compared to other products.

No, wait -- works like a cold damn. Anyway -- undoubtedly available all over the place, not just Canada. Works for really well me, absolutely. Also at least a buck cheaper than what it listed on this web page.

Here it is:

< http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en >

Temp has been under -24C all day today. Warming up slowly, blowing snow. The roads are totally shi**y. Lots of crap on the windshield from all the spray and other stuff thrown up by other vehicles. This stuff works great, so far at least.

Cheers / Blueleezard

#7 andrewgif

andrewgif

Newbie R

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

Hi...,

I have the icon's on my 04. I just bought them at an auto supply store at easyfitwipers in the same sizes as the stock Volvo blades. They work well. You don't need to replace your wiper arms.

wiper blades uk, windscreen wipers

#8 SharkGTS

SharkGTS

Seriously R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

Iconns are about 1.5 as good as Evo's. roughly speaking. Icons are the only blade i would recommend. For the rest, and i've tried most of Crappy tire's stuff - not as good. Thumbs down on anything Rainx as well.

We live in the rain out here so wipers are important as anything on the car. I even redesigned the Range Rover fitment to take Icons as the factory blades were really noisy.

#9 Richard-R

Richard-R

Advanced Member

• Benefactors
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Well, the Evo's gave up and I changed to the recommended stock Volvo front and rear blades. Bets blades I've used yet...... but not in the Winter! they freeze ona whim and then refreeze even if in use... to many open exposed crevaces for the ice to form I guess. I went into Volvo to pick up some Winter Blades....and you knwo what ... Volvo is missing out on an opportunity. They do not sell Winter blades for their cars... they suggest properyl clearing the ice/snow first!... yes yes, but still.. no Winters?

oh well. My search resumes again.. I park my car outside (I know, I know)... and some mornings I have to really work at releasing the wipers and clearing the windows more than I;d like.

Anyone have suggestions for Winter Wiper Blades? will search all the other threads now as well.
Cheers, and almost a Happy New Year!

ps. Yes. I still am trying to find a local supplier of the Icon's (not the eveolutions) to try when my Volvo blades giv up next spring or summer.