Photo
- - - - -

Sport Edition F2 rims from

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 bgibbs

bgibbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:42 PM

Anyone have these for winter rims? They are $88 and they look decent. Any pics on a V70R?.

I know I am late in the game for winter rims/tires but I just got my car on Tuesday

2004 V70R Red/Nordkap. Love it so far. No pics yet, hopefully this weekend.

#2 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

Anyone have these for winter rims? They are $88 and they look decent. Any pics on a V70R?.

Here you go . . . just put these on my car, along with the mudguards. Regarding the rims,

Pro: 1) inexpensive, 2) I think they look alright, 3) should be relatively easy to clean (rounded surfaces, not angular recesses), 4) they clear the brake calipers (although not by as much as the Pegasus rims)

Con: 1) finish not so good on back of spokes (had to touch-up some areas that weren't painted; finish on outside is fine), 2) Volvo's regular lug bolts fit but locking lug bolts do not (socket not wide enough for locking lug or key), 3) a little bolt has to be removed from each rotor hub (no recess in the rim to accomodate it as on the Pegasus), 4) the spokes protrude a bit beyond the rim, so I expect they may get some paint chips from that exposure.

Tires are Nokian WR XL, 225/45-17 from tirefactory.net & they look like they'll work great in the snow. :)

- Mark

Attached Files

Edited by geoguy, 15 December 2005 - 07:17 PM.

#3 bgibbs

bgibbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. They and the car look great.

Brian

#4 flyfishing3

flyfishing3

Hardcore R

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

looks good mark.

mike

#5 colnagotifosi

colnagotifosi

Seriously R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:11 AM

Here you go . . . just put these on my car,

Pro: 1) inexpensive, 4) they clear the brake calipers (although not by as much as the Pegasus rims)

3) a little bolt has to be removed from each rotor hub

Tires are Nokian WR XL, 225/45-17 from tirefactory.net & they look like they'll work great in the snow. :)

- Mark

Hi Mark,
What went into your decision to go with the Nokian WR XL? Is the XL different just for a outside diameter difference? Tirefactory doesn't publish their prices. How much were the tires, shipping, etc.?

Your car looks great. I like my Ti Gray but your's is spectacular. The wheels do look better than I expected for the price and all. So with even less room between the rotors and the wheels I guess you will be cleaning them with a toothbrush with the back ground down! :)

Thanks,
Stuart

#6 EntertheR

EntertheR

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:36 AM

Does anyone know if the center caps are removable and if so will the volvo ones fit? :)

#7 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone know if the center caps are removable and if so will the volvo ones fit? :)

The center caps were delivered loose, I just popped them into place. They appear to be quite a bit smaller in diameter than the ones on my pegasus rims, so I assume the Volvo caps wouldn't fit (though I didn't measure both caps) . . . I also would have preferred the Volvo name instead of "Sport Edition".

- Mark

#8 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

I've yapped on a bit re: Nokian tires in other posts, but the short story is that I've run a set of Nokians on my Saab & have been very pleased, & I've also spoken with some people who do wintercross events & they swear by Nokians.

The WR can be used year-round but is biased towards performance in winter conditions, as opposed to most all-season tires that are only fair in winter conditions & better in summer. Look at the big openings between tread blocks, where water & slush can get squeezed out. They also have lots of sipes that provide extra traction in snow. The WR carries the "severe service" rating that means it provides exceptional traction in snow.

The "XL" version of this tire gets you a higher speed rating (V instead of H) & a higher load rating (94 instead of 91, with a 225mm tread width). I don't intend to drive at high speed in New England in the winter, but the higher speed rating should result in a tire that is more responsive to steering input on dry roads. And the 94 load rating is much closer to the OEM load rating of 97. If I had stayed with the OEM width of 235mm, that WR XL actually has a 97 load rating, but Volvo recommends a slightly narrower tire for winter.

General advice I've heard from others is that a high-grade all-season tire is all that is needed on our AWD R cars in the winter, hence I opted for the WR instead of another Nokian snow tire (my Saab is getting a new set of Hakka 2's, true snow tires, replacing the 6 year-old Nokians that are at the end of their lives).

It is frustrating to try to keep a car clean in this area, during the winter . . . those rims will see a soapy sponge on occasion, but probably no toothbrush until spring! (thanks for the tip on grinding down the back of the brush, though)

I paid $185 per tire, including shipping. That might have included a modest pre-season discount.

- Mark

Edited by geoguy, 16 December 2005 - 02:10 PM.

#9 colnagotifosi

colnagotifosi

Seriously R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:09 AM

And now for some real excitement. Today, yes only in the last couple of hours, Tire Rack has acquired yet another Sport Edition model, the F7 and added to their site for the same $88 and it fits our car! I lifted their two pictures and stitched together a single image with the new F7 on the left and the F2 mentioned and pictured on the 70R above on the right.

It looks like a different take on a knock off of the Pegasus and appears that it might be a little less "proud" of the sidewall helping to avoid curb issues to some degree.

Both of these wheels are listed as 7-1/2 inches wide so a bit better for winter if you want to go 225 width. The Tire Rack selector only let's you select 235/45-17 for this car. If you select a 225 do you get a 50 in a 17"?

The F2 lists a 40mm offset while I believe the Pegasus has a 38mm. Does this shift with the 1/2" narrower wheel? The new F7 does not list weight or offset yet.

Here they are for comparison, both $88, both 17" x 7.5", both fit the R with the cons listed above.

Posted Image

Newly offered Sport Edition F7 on the left, Sport Edition F2 on the Right

#10 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:32 PM

Tire rack also had the F7 rims for sale when I ordered my F2 rims. You can look at both rims on a picture of your model & color R, to see which you like better, using a preview feature on tire rack's website.

I'm usually partial to 5-spoke rims, for some reason that I can't explain, but preferred the 6-spoke when I previewed it on tire rack's website.

Choose whichever floats your boat!

Tire rack actually lists three winter-tire size options for at least an '05 V70R. A 17-inch recommended (235/45-17), a 17-inch alternate (225/45-17; this is also Volvo's recommended size), & an 18-inch recommended.

I believe the pegasus offset is actually 46mm. So both Sport Edition rim centers would be moved out by 6mm compared to the pegs. But the Sport Edition is 1/2 inch narrower. The Sport Edition outer rims would therefore be 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) closer to the rim centerline, therefore the outer edge of the Sport Edition rims is in nearly the same place as the stock pegasus rims.

I put one of the F2 rims on a bathroom scale, & it weighed approximately 22.5 lbs. Don't know the weight of a 17-inch peg offhand, but you can probably find it somewhere on this site. Combined weight of an F2 rim & a mounted Nokian WR tire was roughly 45 lbs, if that matters to you.

- Mark

Edited by geoguy, 17 December 2005 - 03:34 PM.