Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Docv70r

Buying '07 v70r - what should I watch out for?

20 posts in this topic

If all goes well, I will be purchasing a v70r in the VERY near future. I have found a nice '07 v70r, 6spd, black with orange leather and Navi. Has 100,000km just off lease - all seems to be good, maintained at a Volvo dealership. It is 5 hours away, so I have not seen the car much less driven it as yet.

What should I look out for with thue car?

Any common problems with the '07?

How about the '04? (If the '07 doesn't pan out - I have my eyes on a grey/balck 6spd '04).

Thanks! Currently riding a '07 Mazdaspeed 3 but need something bigger (and faster!). :unsure:

Cheers!u

Welcome to the Forum!

I know there are lots of threads on the site that have huge amounts of advice as far as what to look for in pre-owned Rs, especially the Manual Tranny Rs, which seem to be prone to clutch slave cylinder failure that may or may not be covered by warranty - so the clutch in particular is something you want to consider building in some protection for yourself at the time of your transaction.

I don't know if the R is from a Volvo dealer, in which case you might be able to see if they can cover it with a VIP extended warranty (although that typically increases the purcahse price by maybe $1500 US (+/-). With your car at 65K miles, you probably have a lot of good life in the vehicle, but it is a bit hard to know if things like brakes, control arms, sway bar links, etc, have been replaced or at least monitored. None of those things are necessarily deal-killers, but they may cost you some money, depending upon how "handy" you are with your R. I used to be good with cars, but admit that I'm - ahem - older now and I'm blessed with a very good dealer less than 10 miles away.

The bad news is that I can't tell you what specifically to Search for....all I can recommend is that you use the Search function and then patiently search; I'm sure you will find post from really knowledgable people like needsdecaf, JRL, Rob, Mark the Geoguy, Trent in Australia, and of course Doug (DEFGH1) if you can find him now that he is retired.

In any case, good luck with your purchase process. The 07s seem to be very desirable, especially if you get the GT (auto trans), since they put a 6-speed in there in later years (06 & 07 I think) that helped low-end acceleration. But I have to say, my 'ole 2004 V70R GT 5-speed still gets up and goes with 99,600 miles on her and she only burns maybe a half-quart of oil every 3500 miles. Still a great performance bargain and I think more reliable and affordable than at least some of the competition, like the Audi S6.

bill in NJ

My 2007 V70R just went to the 37.5K mile service and nothing much to report. In very good condition, MT is working great and my IPD mods are making comuting fun.

Scott

Sooo, I've narrowed it down to one car.

2007 Red V70r, black interior

3rd row seats

Trailer hitch (volvo)

Roof rack (Thule)

97,000km

No service history available though B)

No accidents

(Haven't seen the car personally, have a relative checking it out for me).

Will try ot have an indy check it out prior to fully signing.

Should know more by the end of this week, if all goes well (when does that happen) - I may fly out this weekend or in 2 weeks to drive it back home - either a great road trip, or...

Will likely be opting fror a full aftermarket warranty as well...

B)

Update: found the car history (called every Volvo dealer in BC and Alberta with the vin).

All service up to date. Brake pads getting a little thin, otherwise no warranty repairs or problems.

Cousin drove the car and loves it. Tires are noisy (crappy Rosso tires) but also comes with 16" alloys with winter rubber.

Already put a deposit on it and gonna get it inspected this week.

Hopefully will be in my driveway in 2 weeks time!

HELP!!!

So I got the inspection, and a few big issues came up.

Recommended:

1. Replace angle gear sleeve (weeping oil) - hopefully not angle gear replacement itself! - $650-2500

2. Tires won't pass inspection - $1000+ for half-decent rubber

3. Wiper blades all worn (deal breaker!) ;)

4. Radiator has a leak in it needs to be replaced - $1700

5. 95,000km service due - at a Volvo dealer - $1200 service

I am still interested in the car if they either fix the issues or dedecut the cars price accordingly. What do you think?

Run like the wind, or give her a go?

All else apparently looked quite good.

Seems rather pricey, especially for a radiator & the tire's. Cost is under 400 bux for the radiator & you have a Whole lot of options when it comes to tire's. I've put 2 set's of the Goodyear triple treads on both my sister inlaws XC 70's & those ran me 465 installed, both times. about to put them on the wifes XC too. I take it the car doesn't have the extended warranty for the angle gear ? & I would imagine you could have the service done else wear for far less. or be able to get them to atleast throw that in.

Being these are getting harder & Harder to come by, if you like everything else about the car I would say give her a go. If not I'm sure Jim could locate you one. probably with less miles.

Either way Good Luck ! ! !

..........Dave

That's a lot of money for immediate repairs BEFORE you even take delivery! If you don't mind front-loading your costs, it's probably worth it but that just seems kind of high to me. They really should come down in price an equivalent amount in my opinion. $1000 for tires is a bit steep but it depends on what they are suggesting. I got Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for $800.

Conversely, you could buy a pristine example that needs NO work right now but could suddenly require the same service in a year which will nickel and dime you to death so maybe it's a good idea to get it out of the way now so you know it's done and go on. No guarantee nothing else is not going to rear its ugly head, however!

I'd say bargain for a lower price and, if they refuse to come down, see about cutting the repair costs in half. If they refuse to deal with you, I'd walk away and wait for something better to come along. They may call you in a few days and bargain!

Good luck!

Thanks for the insight!

Seeing as how it's the only 2007 manual car in Canada for sale, and QUITE rare now, I really didn't want it to get away!

The prices for repairs were quoted from the local Volvo dealership that did the inspection for me - I used those numbers to help bargain down the price of the car - in the end, he took off another $2700 - which will pay for the repairs at my local inde.

The car ships out this week - now I have to wait 2-3 weeks >:P

My tire shop has a set of Toyo Observe's set aside for me already for winter!

Let the waiting begin...

in the end, he took off another $2700 - which will pay for the repairs at my local inde.

That;'s good news. It's so much better when the seller will be reasonable and work with the buyer rather than just saying "no." Keep us posted on how it all turns out (before and after repairs!)

Kevin

Welcome

Good show, that was the proper way to buy and the proper way to sell, (props to the seller)!

Check a car out BEFORE you buy it, negotiate any repaires (if necessary), and if the deal still works for everyone, this is the best and proper way to buy a used car.

HELP!!!

So I got the inspection, and a few big issues came up.

Recommended:

1. Replace angle gear sleeve (weeping oil) - hopefully not angle gear replacement itself! - $650-2500

2. Tires won't pass inspection - $1000+ for half-decent rubber

3. Wiper blades all worn (deal breaker!) :P

4. Radiator has a leak in it needs to be replaced - $1700

5. 95,000km service due - at a Volvo dealer - $1200 service

I am still interested in the car if they either fix the issues or dedecut the cars price accordingly. What do you think?

Run like the wind, or give her a go?

All else apparently looked quite good.

This sounds like the 07 that was for sale in Calgary. I posted my 06 VR manual when this ad was out. For reference I ended up selling mine for $24k even, but it was a creampuff and didn't need anyting and had 6 months of Vollvo CPO warranty left.

You weren't the buyer from Toronto who contacted me were you?

Eric

This sounds like the 07 that was for sale in Calgary. I posted my 06 VR manual when this ad was out. For reference I ended up selling mine for $24k even, but it was a creampuff and didn't need anyting and had 6 months of Vollvo CPO warranty left.

You weren't the buyer from Toronto who contacted me were you?

Eric

No that wasn't me :)

The car arrived yesterday.

All in all, I am VeRy pleased!!

Car looks great, and is extremely comfortable. Wife, kids and dogs love it too!

Annoyance - the dealer forgot to put the thule rack and ski rack in the car when it shipped.

The 16" winter rims and tires obviously don't fit on the car - but will fund some new rubber!

Problem - noticeable side hop - hopefully it's from the rear bearings that need replacing - gettin fixed on Monday. It's a bit unnerving when it does it - even my wife noticed it on the way home. But the comfort, utility, safety, power, etc all make up for it.

It's not what I would call quick car (my Mazdspeed 3 was unbelievable in the quick department) but an extremely enjoyable (and fast) car to drive. Very nice shifting, easy clutch in traffic, great view out, no big blind spots,and of course, it looks friggin awesome!!

Will post pics when I have a chance.

CheeRs...

No that wasn't me :)

The car arrived yesterday.

All in all, I am VeRy pleased!!

Car looks great, and is extremely comfortable. Wife, kids and dogs love it too!

Annoyance - the dealer forgot to put the thule rack and ski rack in the car when it shipped.

The 16" winter rims and tires obviously don't fit on the car - but will fund some new rubber!

Problem - noticeable side hop - hopefully it's from the rear bearings that need replacing - gettin fixed on Monday. It's a bit unnerving when it does it - even my wife noticed it on the way home. But the comfort, utility, safety, power, etc all make up for it.

It's not what I would call quick car (my Mazdspeed 3 was unbelievable in the quick department) but an extremely enjoyable (and fast) car to drive. Very nice shifting, easy clutch in traffic, great view out, no big blind spots,and of course, it looks friggin awesome!!

Will post pics when I have a chance.

CheeRs...

If you thought the Vr wasn't quick there could be a problem. It could be that the VR "hides" it's speed well and you don't notice the rate of travel. The VR is fast but not quick?

Regarding the sidehop. Proper alignment is the key. Get the shop to set the total rear toe at '0'. Next get some good tires. That should resolve 95% of your sidehop.

This was a great read. I appreciate all your responses to the questions and the fact that It ended well.

You are all correct that there are few '07 V70R's out there I found it hard to not bend at the end of the negotiations.

Great that the seller was willing to participate in repairs as 'no problems whatsoever' would mean a New Car etc.

Regards

Wayne

If you thought the Vr wasn't quick there could be a problem. It could be that the VR "hides" it's speed well and you don't notice the rate of travel. The VR is fast but not quick?

Regarding the sidehop. Proper alignment is the key. Get the shop to set the total rear toe at '0'. Next get some good tires. That should resolve 95% of your sidehop.

New tires have resolved about 90% of the side hop issues, going for alignment in the next week or two!

Fast but not quick = not as responsive steering and "jumpy" on the throttle, you don't get the same punch on the throttle as my speed did. The VR is deceptively fast as mentioned, the speed does climb up REAL quickly without really feeling it - VERY smooth!

Only issue I noticed is in 5th gear, around 2500rpm - if I go hard on throttle to pass, it bogs for a second and then kicks in - either I'm out of the sweet spot, has serious lag, or some other issue - full cutout or something?

Below is a quick pick of our family 300+hp cars :P

6f00e7ef.jpg

I was the guy from Toronto who contacted you Eric. I'm still in the market for a 05-07 V70R with 6MT. Anybody out there have a lead on one?

Bruce