Photo
- - - - -

Volvo trailer hitch on V70R

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:12 PM

I'm considering having the dealer install Volvo's two-inch receiver-type hitch on my V70R. The service advisor said it would entail removing the bumper cover & cutting an opening to go around the receiver.

Has anyone had this done? If so, were you satisfied with the appearance afterward? I realize it won't be a cosmetic improvement, but am hoping it wouldn't be too hideous.

This car wouldn't tow a trailer often, or for long distances, but it would be useful to have the option of moving my ski boat when I don't have a work truck at the lake. For example, if the boat needs repair or if bad weather is forecast & I don't want to leave the boat on the mooring.

Thanks,

- Mark

#2 defgh1

defgh1

R Guru

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,285 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:58 PM

I'm considering having the dealer install Volvo's two-inch receiver-type hitch on my V70R.  The service advisor said it would entail removing the bumper cover & cutting an opening to go around the receiver.

Has anyone had this done?  If so, were you satisfied with the appearance afterward?  I realize it won't be a cosmetic improvement,  but am hoping it wouldn't be too hideous.

This car wouldn't tow a trailer often, or for long distances, but it would be useful to have the option of moving my ski boat when I don't have a work truck at the lake.  For example, if the boat needs repair or if bad weather is forecast & I don't want to leave the boat on the mooring.

Thanks,

- Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you use the Hidden Hitch you will not have to cut the bumper. See this post for info: http://www.v70r.com/...c=624&hl=towing

Doug H

Posted Image

#3 Johann

Johann

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:13 AM

I have the original Volvo hitch mounted but didn't mount the cover because I do not like the looks.

For this reason the cutout on the bumper is kept very small but if you want to make it that way tell the mechanic who does the install because installation instructions suggest to cut a rather large part of the rear bumper.

Posted Image

#4 jhundertmark

jhundertmark

Fairly R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:25 PM

If you use the Hidden Hitch you will not have to cut the bumper.  See this post for info: http://www.v70r.com/...c=624&hl=towing

Doug H

Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Etrailer.com was (& I assume should still be) a good source for the hidden hitch unit. http://www.etrailer....e=Volvo&t1=&h=e

Class II Receiver Hitch Part Number: 90804
List: $178.14
Today: $131.03

1-1/4" Hitch Opening
Difficulty Level: 3
Fits Volvo V70 Wagon All, Including AWD and XC
3,500 Towing Detailed Info...
Actual Photo Hardwire your vehicle.
Drawbar included
No drilling required for hitch installation, Round Tube Receiver

Jack Hundertmark
2004 V70R

#5 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

Thanks . . . I was assuming I should get a 2-inch receiver hitch, but maybe the 1.25-inch units are ok for occasional duty. I believe the Volvo unit is 2-inch, but the others I've seen at a couple of websites are 1.25 inches.

Boat + trailer + fuel + miscellaneous gear will total roughly 3100 pounds, approaching the vehicle's max towing limit of 3300 pounds. Hence I don't want to tow it often with the car.

- Mark

#6 geoguy

geoguy

Hardcore R

• Benefactors
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:57 PM

Ok . . . I ordered the wiring harness from a Volvo dealer, & a Hidden Hitch from e-trailer.com

The hitch arrived today, which reminded me that I hadn't heard from the Volvo parts guy. Called him, he said the wiring harness arrived, but he had forgotten to call me back on some other parts that were required . . .

Supposedly my '05 requires some sort of electronic module for the trailer wiring harness, complete with a VADIS update, that entails several hours of a technician's time to install. And they need three weeks notice to schedule a service appointment!

Neither the parts guy nor the service advisor could explain what the purpose was for this module.

Does anyone know if the '05 V70R is indeed different from the '04 in this respect? I was expecting a simple plug-and-play of the four-pin wiring harness to the car's wiring, via some connectors in the trunk (that was supposedly the case with the '04, according to the service advisor).

Thanks in advance,

- Mark

p.s. - here's a pic of the hitch installed:

Attached File  hitch_lores.jpg   129.93K   958 downloads

attachment on left (exhaust hanger) side:

Attached File  hitch_left.JPG   154.77K   250 downloads

attachment on right side:

Attached File  hitch_right.JPG   154.36K   247 downloads

Edited by geoguy, 22 February 2006 - 11:11 PM.

#7 PA70RR

PA70RR

Newbie R

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

Ok . . . I ordered the wiring harness from a Volvo dealer, & a Hidden Hitch from e-trailer.com

The hitch arrived today, which reminded me that I hadn't heard from the Volvo parts guy.  Called him, he said the wiring harness arrived, but he had forgotten to call me back on some other parts that were required . . . ;)

Supposedly my '05 requires some sort of electronic module for the trailer wiring harness, complete with a VADIS update, that entails several hours of a technician's time to install.  And they need three weeks notice to schedule a service appointment!

Neither the parts guy nor the service advisor could explain what the purpose was for this module.

Does anyone know if the '05 V70R is indeed different from the '04 in this respect?  I was expecting a simple plug-and-play of the four-pin wiring harness to the car's wiring, via some connectors in the trunk (that was supposedly the case with the '04, according to the service advisor).

Thanks in advance,

- Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The network system is completely different on the 05's.

You will have to buy the 05 harness and a "module".

From all my research, the harness will work without the software. The software apparently does two things: (only when the harness is plugged into a trailer)

Torque reduction in 1st gear (possibly to try and save tranny; may only apply to auto trannies)

Turns off parktronic (which would go crazy with a trailer attached)

The harness is not that hard to install, although more involved than prior cars, which were just "plug and play".

You don't have to do the full install, just leave the excess stuff by the spare tire tire, and run it out the tail gate when you need it.

Hope this helps.

#8 wmontgomery

wmontgomery

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hey Mark & R friends -
I could use some feedback on hitches for the R. I'm thinking about putting a hitch on my '04. I'm leaning toward the Volvo OEM, but only because I have no intention of doing it myself and I want things to go as smoothly as possible at the dealer.

thanks much
bill in NJ

#9 abarth

abarth

Seriously R

• Benefactors
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

The Volvo hitch is real nice. It is also the most expensive.

Mike

#10 wmontgomery

wmontgomery

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Mike, thanks for the feedback. Every bit helps. Not so worried about costs. The R has made it 95K miles for us so far. My wife is a bit concerned about the load a trailer would put on our fancy suspension and transmission, however.....

bill