Photo
- - - - -

Low pitch thumping sound from right front wheel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 seattlepilot172

seattlepilot172

Newbie R

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:22 AM

Hi - I've got a '98 V70R with about 175k miles on it (I bought the car last year with 167k). It still runs and drives well - these are really great cars, and the AWD is great in the snow (I mostly use the car for ski trips).

Recently, the car started to develop a strange thumping noise coming from the right-front wheel... The thing is that it only happens under two specific circumstances -- when making a gentle sweeping turn to the left above approx. 30-35 mph, or when going over (some) potholes in the road. You basically hear "tuk, tuk, tuk" - it's not super loud, but definitely noticeable. It definitely does not happen when making a slow turn to the left, or a sharp 90 degree turn. It also does not happen when turnning to the right.

I rode with a Volvo tech who susbequently looked at the suspension, but he couldn't see anything wrong... The only thing they noticed is that the right front fog light was not quite secure, so they secured it with some "miscellaneous hardware" -- but the thumping sound is still there.

Any takers for what might be wrong? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance for any help/pointers!!

#2 big fan volvo

big fan volvo

Newbie R

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

Probabaly need to repalce mounts and shocks, replace links as well

My AWD same earlier this year at 160k

All sorted and noises dissapear, car drives like new

Hi - I've got a '98 V70R with about 175k miles on it (I bought the car last year with 167k). It still runs and drives well - these are really great cars, and the AWD is great in the snow (I mostly use the car for ski trips).

Recently, the car started to develop a strange thumping noise coming from the right-front wheel... The thing is that it only happens under two specific circumstances -- when making a gentle sweeping turn to the left above approx. 30-35 mph, or when going over (some) potholes in the road. You basically hear "tuk, tuk, tuk" - it's not super loud, but definitely noticeable. It definitely does not happen when making a slow turn to the left, or a sharp 90 degree turn. It also does not happen when turnning to the right.

I rode with a Volvo tech who susbequently looked at the suspension, but he couldn't see anything wrong... The only thing they noticed is that the right front fog light was not quite secure, so they secured it with some "miscellaneous hardware" -- but the thumping sound is still there.

Any takers for what might be wrong? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance for any help/pointers!!

Edited by defgh1, 21 November 2008 - 07:23 PM.
Fixed text justification

#3 VOLVOPHILE

VOLVOPHILE

Seriously R

• Benefactors
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

No expert here but possibly wheel bearing. Kinda depends on the exact sound it is making and whether you feel it through the steering wheel. I swore my tires were unbalanced, had them balanced and issue continued. Then I read here about symptoms of wheel bearings. If I remember it was my left wheel bearing that would make noise on right sweeping turns. Do a little poking around here to see if this may relate. It is pretty exact, certain speeds, certain directions determined which bearing is causing the problem. I just don't know about the pothole statement, that makes me think it's something else.

#4 32768rs

32768rs

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

I agree with VOLVOPHILE, sounds like you have a right wheel bearing going out. I'd start there but with your mileage I would also check the lower control arm bushings and outer tie rod end for play. I doubt its a sway bar link since you would hear it over just about every bump in the road. Could also be upper strut mount, but odds are it is probably a wheel bearing. I would check the tie rod, sway bar links and control arm bushings first before replacing the wheel bearing. Bad wheel bearings on these cars are hard to diagnose with just trying feel for play in the wheel. The only way I've ever been able to tell is to take the wheel bearing out.

Joe

Edited by 32768rs, 20 November 2008 - 08:15 PM.

#5 firepuma

firepuma

Addicted to R

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

Do yourself a favor and just replace everything in your suspension. Don't go chasing gremlins, it's easy and cheap enough to do this the right way first. More than likely a wheel bearing. I had the same issue at about that milage, did my two front wheel bearings then about a month later had to do strut mounts, swaybar endlinks, ball joint, etc. Better off in the shop once!

#6 seattlepilot172

seattlepilot172

Newbie R

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

Problem solved! :)

I had the car in the shop again (different shop this time) before seeing the replies, and they replaced the right front wheel bearing and the right-front axle assembly. The old bearing was pretty much shot, so it was a good thing they replaced it; while looking at the suspension components, they also found a leaking angle drive seal, so I had them replace that, too. The thumping sound still continued, though... Like you guys said, it ended up being both front strut mounts, worn shocks (still original at 175K miles), and sway bar links.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

#7 JRL

JRL

Resident Douche

• Gold Benefactor
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

...it ended up being both front strut mounts, worn shocks (still original at 175K miles)

:) <_< :D :o :o WOW!